Wood Splitter

/ Wood Splitter #11  
I have a Troy-Built 27 ton.. w/ 5.5 Honda Engine.. easy to start.. I've had it for 5 or 6 years now.

/ Wood Splitter #12  
I have a splitter mounted in front, very practical, you can bring a trailer with you when you are working. The splitter is mounted in square pipes, slides on an off.
Also mounted a big pump, only needs to idlewhen you are splitting.
Maybe mounting it in the FEL would be great?

Attachments

• splitter1.jpg
    splitter1.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 330
  • splitter2.jpg
    splitter2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 283
  • splitter 3.jpg
    splitter 3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 337
  • splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 286
   / Wood Splitter #13  
GUNNAR,
That is a very good lookin idea youve come up with there! Your splitter is a good example of why the wedge should be stationary so the wood doesnt fall at your feet.To us over here on this side of the pond thats a different looking truck.Is it a mercedess? Its nice to have you folks on TBN ,sometimes we see things we dont see over here.
BOTA BILL,
Im sure the splitfire is every thing you say.As an adverage homeowner I feel any ordinare splitter with a two stage pump is fast enough.With mine and a 5 hp briggs i can do a cord per hour myself.If the kids bring me the wood its more like two. .Most folks i know with a well insulated house up here in MAINE. burn 4 TO 6 cord per year.It sure does sound like a good one if your in the business though.
ALAN

/ Wood Splitter #14  
herringchoker said:
Vallyfarm gives good advice about trying out and being comfortable with the table height before you buy. I have been using a Poulan with the beam only 12" off the ground since 1979. It has always worked great but it is a real back killer. One of my projects this winter is to rebuild it: raise it to more comfortable height, add infeed and outfeed tables, replace the worn-out engine, and maybe, just maybe, build a hydraulic lift to get the big sticks up off the ground.

Yeah, height! I built mine with an adjustable tongue prop (pipe sliding inside a pipe with multiple holes). Too bad I forgot to pull it up the first time I towed it. Ripped the top 1 1/2" off the stand pipe. Thus I am limited to about knee height. Every time I use I I swear I will do a chop and raise job but since I have to farm that out I never seem to get around to it. Another 9" higher wouild be great.

Harry K

/ Wood Splitter #15  
escavader said:
GUNNAR,
That is a very good lookin idea youve come up with there! Your splitter is a good example of why the wedge should be stationary so the wood doesnt fall at your feet.To us over here on this side of the pond thats a different looking truck.Is it a mercedess? Its nice to have you folks on TBN ,sometimes we see things we dont see over here.

Is that a UNIMOG? Looks similar.

Another reason for the wedge _not_ to be on the ram. Over on arboristsite.com a guy is complaining because he got rapped in the goodies when a chunk suddenly split and flew. Wedge on ram throws those pieces right at you, stationary wedge throws them away from you. I have had them fly up to 6 ft. Of course with tip-up models there is no choice.

Harry K

/ Wood Splitter #16  
turnkey4099 said:
Is that a UNIMOG? Looks similar.

Another reason for the wedge _not_ to be on the ram. Over on arboristsite.com a guy is complaining because he got rapped in the goodies when a chunk suddenly split and flew. Wedge on ram throws those pieces right at you, stationary wedge throws them away from you. I have had them fly up to 6 ft. Of course with tip-up models there is no choice.

Harry K
The trouble is that with stationary wedge you have to go get the pieces and bring them back for finer splits, or at least pick them up again for stacking. I like the wood to stay in front of me. One piece falls away to a catch pan. The other I split appropriately and throw in the transport - - then on to the piece in the catch pan. Ive only picked it up once. The log is done and on wheels and I havnt moved. The goody smack is a height issue that can be remedied in setup.
Larry

/ Wood Splitter #17  
SPYDERLK said:
The trouble is that with stationary wedge you have to go get the pieces and bring them back for finer splits, or at least pick them up again for stacking. I like the wood to stay in front of me. One piece falls away to a catch pan. The other I split appropriately and throw in the transport - - then on to the piece in the catch pan. Ive only picked it up once. The log is done and on wheels and I havnt moved. The goody smack is a height issue that can be remedied in setup.
Larry

I have seen that before and it is false. I never have to chase after any splits except those that snap and throw. If I had infeed/outfeed tables on mine, the splits would stay right there just as on yours. At most I have to take a 1/2 step forward to keep the unsplit block from falling to the ground.
Usually don't even have to do that. As for picking up, I let them build up on the off side so in effect the pile becomes an off-feed table.

There is only the safety issue (pieces throwing either away or toward you) plus the chance of a split chunk hitting the operating mechanism (wedge on ram) to recommend one over the other - fairly minor concerns. For me, the safety is the way I will go given a choice.

Harry K

Harry K

/ Wood Splitter #18  
turnkey4099 said:
I have seen that before and it is false. I never have to chase after any splits except those that snap and throw. If I had infeed/outfeed tables on mine, the splits would stay right there just as on yours. At most I have to take a 1/2 step forward to keep the unsplit block from falling to the ground.
Usually don't even have to do that. As for picking up, I let them build up on the off side so in effect the pile becomes an off-feed table.

There is only the safety issue (pieces throwing either away or toward you) plus the chance of a split chunk hitting the operating mechanism (wedge on ram) to recommend one over the other - fairly minor concerns. For me, the safety is the way I will go given a choice.

Harry K

Harry K

Harry, I agree 100%.

/ Wood Splitter #19  
turnkey4099 said:

Harry K

Harry K
I didnt say chase after. It is harder to control a moving log and the ram at the same time. There is inherent danger there unless you just let the log fall. If the log is large you must split it again. You either control it while it splits while moving or pick it up and reposition it. Both have inherent risk and wear and tear on you. Thelogs that store energy and fly when they split are the little ones. For me these are rare and are recognizable as they flex while being split. Moving wood splitters are ok with a partner. Stationary wood can be completed and on wheels in a single step by one operator.
Larry

/ Wood Splitter #20  
I love the Unimog!! Is it gas or diesel? They are pretty rare here in the states