Wood Splitting Axe/Maul

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul #1  

weesa20

Silver Member
After breaking TWO fiberglass handle 8lb mauls from home Depot, I did some reading on the internet and read great recs on the Fiskars X25 Splitting Axe- I bought it today at Walmart for $39 and couldn't be happier. At first I was concerned about the light weight (4.5 lbs) and the composite handle, but this thing far exceeds the performance of any 8lb maul I have used. It split more wood (oak) today than either of two previous mauls that broke and it still looks new. The only issue that I have with it is I need to keep a maul/sledge close for when I do have to break out the wedge in the tough stuff. The Fiskars has a coating on it to reduce friction and this makes it slip around a little when driving a wedge. Handle is great, very little vibration and seems extremely durable. Not a big deal by any means as I have the trusty 16lb sledge for for that...

Weesy

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul #2  
Good to hear the positive review, I was thinking of one myself, but also thought it may be to lite. I have a gas powered hydraulic splitter for the production work, but need a hand splitter for the outdoor fire pit.

JB

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul #3  
I discovered the Fiskars splitting axes a year or two ago going from their normal splitting axe, to the X25 and recently to the X27. Canadian Tire brought in the next versions several months apart. Reminded me of a low-tech version of how computer companies release the next version of their devices.

But I use all three depending what wood I'm splitting. All the axes are vast improvements over mauls and normal axes. The one caution I have is the short handles of the "normal" and X25 axes can be dangerous for missed or glancing blows--you have to keep your hands low to avoid the axe coming close to you.

The longer 36" X27 is safer and more effective for larger logs.

I burn at least 4 full cords per year. I have an electric splitter that I use for tough or irregular logs. But I use the splitting axes for 95% of the work--it's quicker and more fun.

My wood is normally 20" diameter or less fir, birch and pine, which is easy to split. So the axes are great for my situation. They may not be so good for larger and tougher wood.

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul #4  
I discovered the Fiskars splitting axes a year or two ago going from their normal splitting axe, to the X25 and recently to the X27. Canadian Tire brought in the next versions several months apart. Reminded me of a low-tech version of how computer companies release the next version of their devices.

But I use all three depending what wood I'm splitting. All the axes are vast improvements over mauls and normal axes. The one caution I have is the short handles of the "normal" and X25 axes can be dangerous for missed or glancing blows--you have to keep your hands low to avoid the axe coming close to you.

The longer 36" X27 is safer and more effective for larger logs.

I burn at least 4 full cords per year. I have an electric splitter that I use for tough or irregular logs. But I use the splitting axes for 95% of the work--it's quicker and more fun.

My wood is normally 20" diameter or less fir, birch and pine, which is easy to split. So the axes are great for my situation. They may not be so good for larger and tougher wood.

Where do you find the X27?

JB

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul #6  
I have x27- good tool.
I would NOT use it for driving wedges though!

Agreed:thumbsup:

The fiskars is a good splitter if you insist on splitting by hand.

Allthough you still cannot beat a couple of wedges and sledge for bigger/knottier peices:thumbsup:

Allthough I have to ask how you managed to break two mauls. I have always used cheap mauls from boxstores, and have never broke one splitting the way it was designed to.

The only way I manage to break them is forgetting where I put them and running over them with the tractor, or using the as a prybar to pry the peices appart, or splitting the backside of a peice that was halved, and the handle strikes the front peice. None of these are the mauls fault ofcourse.

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul
The epoxy inside the head failed on both of them, didn't break the fiber handle but the epoxy loosened from the fiber/head and just fell out. Didn't miss use them, used them only for what they were designed, splitting wood and driving wedges.

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul #8  
I picked up the Fiskars x27 only yesterday and I give it a :thumbsup:. I was splitting standing dead elm with it yesterday which is saying something. I then took a piece of ash (24" diameter) and it was like a hot knife through butter. Then I tried a 16" piece of sugar maple and it split perfectly with zero troubles. I am very confident this maul will handle all my hardwoods with the possible exception of wet/newly cut elm and ironwood/hophornbeam. Those I'll have to rent/buy a splitter for.

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul
i have also really enjoyed the x25- same but with a shorter handle...I also have tried a fix on one of the mauls that broke- looked for replacement epoxy to re attach the head and the best I could find (at least for PSI strength) was JB weld so i gave it a shot and am going to try it out on some more of the oak that I have left today after work...not sure the JB weld will stand up to the abuse but couldn't find anything that looked better on paper or specifically made for this task.

/ Wood Splitting Axe/Maul #10  
Where do you find the X27?

JB

I just ordered a X27 from amazon.com for $45.01 w/free shipping. Supposed to be here Monday! ~~ grnspot