Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
I'm looking into getting a wood stove insert to be installed in my fireplace. My home is a roughly 1500 sq ft cape with an open stairwell in the center of the home. I've been averaging $750 a month this year heating with oil. Thermostat is kept at 67 degrees. The house was built in 1950 and will eventually need new windows installed as they're drafty, this isn't helping my energy effiency. I have access to wood, only cost is my time and labor on the farm to harvest it. Just looking for input as far as manufacturer/ model recommendations. Thanks

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please #2  
Can't help you there but I would suggest a stove if you have the room for a hearth. It will look better and heat better..

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please #3  
I have one installed in my downstairs fireplace. Works good! It's going now. But I curse the dam saleman that sold me a smaler unit saying it was ample and I would not want a bigger one. Screw u! I would love a bigger one. A small fire box is miserible! I used to put four foot logs two feet in diameter in that fieplace, as I do upstairs. Now I can't load the stove for an overnight burn, and I'm messing around with those dinkly little sticks of wood. When the stove gets full of ash, which is helpfull to keep the heat to restart a fire, you have lost precious space inside. Plus coals start to fall out, when you open the door.

I also got one with what I thought was a heating surface which I thought I could cook on, in an emergency. I could probably bring a pot of water just to boil, but that's about it.

I bought an EAST-WEST configuartion stove figuring that it made for a nicer view of the fire. But it's hard to load and harder to gauge what will actually fit in the stove. It's also easy to burn oneself while getting the wood in there.!

I have a fancy Vermont Castings stove in my Pond Shack that I got at an auction. It is small too, which I don't mind because I don't use it for any legth of time. I REALLY LOVE the top loading feature of that stove. I can also cook on that.

As well, I have an air tight in my shop. It was a gift and is quite large. It is not an insert but free standing. It is just wonderfull what I can fit in there. Many times I don't think some peice of wood will fit in there but it always does.

Oh, I only have a thousand square foot house built with a coreslab floor in the seventies. It has huge windows, 2x4 walls and is just one big heat loss! The basement where the stove is, has block walls which I had foamed and the floor has been insulated.

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please #5  
I have been out of the business for a long time (very long). But make sure you get a double walled unit with a blower. Without a blower, you only have a radiant unit and it will struggle to heat much past the room with the fireplace.

Things you will need to know before you go shopping: do you have a masonry fireplace or a pre-fab zero clearance unit? You will need measurements - top to bottom / left to right. Take these measurements at the front of the box and also at the very rear. Also, you will need the depth of the firebox, from the front to rear.

Also, measure the height of the firebox off of the hearth, the length and width of the hearth. The distance from the top of the firebox to the mantle.

Take a picture of the fireplace. If you have rough stone or other protrusions from the masonry it can cause install issues. Also take a picture of your damper and if possible your flue.

Your selection may be limited based on the size of your firebox. IIRC, we had a Country Flame model O that would fit even the smallest firebox, and it had a double wall and blower. But the inserts firebox was tiny. (I don't think they are in business any longer). The reason I brought this up was at the time it was the only zero clearance rated insert that would fit the small apartment sized fireboxes. Your selection may be impacted on the size of your fireplace.

Back in the day, our biggest competition was Lopi Stoves, and I know they are still in existence today. They made an excellent product.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please #6  
Go for it. A good liner is essentially a stove in the fireplace. I have an Osborn stove with a bay window door and they make inserts with the same design so it looks good in a fireplace. If you have any questions at all about the chimney put a stainless liner in.

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please #7  
We've been doing 90+% of our heating for the last 14 years with a Quadrafire wood burning insert. It has a thermostatically controlled blower and we have the double walled 6" liner inside the 10" masonry flue. One of the best moves that we ever made.

Frank

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please
I have been out of the business for a long time (very long). But make sure you get a double walled unit with a blower. Without a blower, you only have a radiant unit and it will struggle to heat much past the room with the fireplace.

Things you will need to know before you go shopping: do you have a masonry fireplace or a pre-fab zero clearance unit? You will need measurements - top to bottom / left to right. Take these measurements at the front of the box and also at the very rear. Also, you will need the depth of the firebox, from the front to rear.

Also, measure the height of the firebox off of the hearth, the length and width of the hearth. The distance from the top of the firebox to the mantle.

Take a picture of the fireplace. If you have rough stone or other protrusions from the masonry it can cause install issues. Also take a picture of your damper and if possible your flue.

Your selection may be limited based on the size of your firebox. IIRC, we had a Country Flame model O that would fit even the smallest firebox, and it had a double wall and blower. But the inserts firebox was tiny. (I don't think they are in business any longer). The reason I brought this up was at the time it was the only zero clearance rated insert that would fit the small apartment sized fireboxes. Your selection may be impacted on the size of your fireplace.

Back in the day, our biggest competition was Lopi Stoves, and I know they are still in existence today. They made an excellent product.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Very good info, the existing fireplace is brick and of average size. The height to the mantel is adequate. I'll write down all of the measurements when I go shopping. I know with Jotul brand their mantel clearances are extreme and I'm not even close for their specs. I'm also hearing a bit about the EPA restricting emissions requirements in the future, I would like to be ready to go for the coming fall's heating season. I will be adding a stainless flue liner all the way up. Any input regarding inserts and feedback/experience is greatly appreciated.

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please
We've been doing 90+% of our heating for the last 14 years with a Quadrafire wood burning insert. It has a thermostatically controlled blower and we have the double walled 6" liner inside the 10" masonry flue. One of the best moves that we ever made.

Frank
. How many square feet are you heating? How many cord per season would you estimate, being in MD, you're a little south, but similar climate

/ Wood Stove Insert for the fireplace, suggestions please #10  
I heat with a Pacific Energy insert. It's been used every season for 12 years. You will be well served with a flue liner. It helps the stove operation & draw. I would advise you to insulate the SS flue liner with the proper ceramic fiber blanket. I did and the flue draws very well with almost no build-up. I inspect every year and clean every 3rd.