Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses

/ Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses #11  
A buddy of mine just had a company put up a 40 x 80 x 16 pole barn for him. Cost him $54,000 cdn. Material showed up one day and the crew the next. Material and crew came from 6 hours away. There were 5 guys in the crew and it took a total of 17 hours from the start of the drilling of the first hole to the time they cleaned up tools . If I hadn't seen it myself I would have never believed that 5 guys could put up a building that size that fast, especially with things straight and plumb. Well worth the money to have it built

/ Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses
I just had a 30x50x16 pole barn built, Like you I just didn't have the time to do it myself. I had Morton Buildings build it. Total cost was...$38,000 for the structure which included 1 14x14 and 1 12x10 roll up door. $4,500
for concrete and $4,000 to have underground electric service run 350 ft to the barn. The posts are 6x6 Perma Columns buried 4' deep in concrete with 2x6 3 ply laminated #2 wood which attach to the perma column. No wood is touching or buried in the ground...eliminating any chance of post rot. If you have a chance go on YouTube and look up RR Buildings, though they are based up in Illinois. This guy and his people do excellent work. He uses a slightly different system in setting the 6x6 posts but it allows no wood to be put in the ground. Being that your young you will be having this barn along time....so go the extra expense and put a rot free piling in. It took them 6 days to build it !!!

I appreciate the advice! After doing some reading online and talking to a friend today even though I知 not pouring concrete I am going to go ahead and have dirt brought in to have a 12 inch above grade pad. I知 thinking to extend the pad 10 foot around the barn and slope it back to grade for run off. He said this would definitely help the longevity of my barn post and have me ready for concrete when the time came. Opinions?

Just to let everyone know how this went and I appreciate you guys giving some advice on what you did. We bought a 40x60 pole barn with 14’ eaves, upgraded to 8x8 post CCA treated, trim kit, with metal Trusses. We will be elevating and building a pad 12” for it to be built on so when we pour concrete it’s ready. Also after factoring in my time with putting in pastures and getting the land how I want it we decided to let them build. Should be here in a month and built I hope!

/ Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses #14  
That's going to be a good sized building. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it going up!!!

/ Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses #15  
we decided to let them build.

Good call. I built my own, and I wouldn't do it again. Especially in your situation; a little here and a little there, as time permits. That was my situation. Over time wood bows, warps. You put away the tools, come back 2 weeks later and nothing is in the same place. You spend a whole day pulling on things with come along jacks, adding bracing, just trying to get back to where you were, and it's a day wasted. One step forward and 2 steps back, every step of the way. If I were going to DIY it again (I wouldn't, but if) it would be an all-metal prefab kit. No wood. If it's going to be wood, it needs to go from nothing to fully framed out in no time flat.

That's going to be a good sized building. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it going up!!!

Thanks Eddie, I’ll be sure to take & share some then. I plan to add a 16’ lean to on each side & building horse stalls under one lean to. Just not this year.

Good call. I built my own, and I wouldn't do it again. Especially in your situation; a little here and a little there, as time permits. That was my situation. Over time wood bows, warps. You put away the tools, come back 2 weeks later and nothing is in the same place. You spend a whole day pulling on things with come along jacks, adding bracing, just trying to get back to where you were, and it's a day wasted. One step forward and 2 steps back, every step of the way. If I were going to DIY it again (I wouldn't, but if) it would be an all-metal prefab kit. No wood. If it's going to be wood, it needs to go from nothing to fully framed out in no time flat.

Had those projects before, just not that large! I could see that being a big issue there. Honestly the wife was very persistent in them building it. I got the hint I’ve been a little to tied up lately and was politely told I didn’t need another project added in.

/ Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses #17  
I plan to add a 16’ lean to on each side & building horse stalls under one lean to. Just not this year.

Be sure to tell your builder this. It's pretty easy to do the framing for it now. Also figure out how you will tie the lean to roof into the building. Will it slide under the roof or come off of the wall? Knowing all of this now, before you build, will allow you to have it all ready for you when it's time to add on the lean to.

/ Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses #18  
Be sure to tell your builder this. It's pretty easy to do the framing for it now. Also figure out how you will tie the lean to roof into the building. Will it slide under the roof or come off of the wall? Knowing all of this now, before you build, will allow you to have it all ready for you when it's time to add on the lean to.
Agree, do it right now.

My FIL had an addition put on the back of his pole barn later, and it looks horrible. They totally did it wrong, and it was done by the original builder.

Appreciate the advice! I told them my plans and they said I just use their metal truss to add it onto the existing 8x8 post. I have seen pictures of them with the lean to when they built them that way but I will check that I can just add it on with no issues later. Very important since it will eventually be for the horses also to have it all in one building.

/ Wood vs Metal Pole barn trusses #20  
Being in Georgia if I read your location correctly you will find some companies who use angle iron trusses to build such. Not sure on the strength of them but they are used in my area of South Carolina also as there are GA contractors who build them here. I am located about 20 miles from the Atlantic and those can only be used on Ag buildings for they will not meet our wind loads. Think some where around 120 to 140 mph rating is required here but ag buildings are exempt.

Two years ago price hay shelter and those were less than wooden trusses and they do have the advantage of more head room the further you move toward the center of the building and away from the walls. If you want a flat ceiling then wooden truss has advantage. Not aware that wooden truss or the iron trusses have any real issue of failure from hurricanes here. I do think the "red iron" buildings are stronger, sure more steel but know they can also leak. Well any roof can leak.