Woodchipper and chip piles

/ Woodchipper and chip piles #11  
If you used the excavator to create the piles, then you'll never separate them into breaches which can be fed into a chipper.

Yep. You made a big mess of tangled branches that will be a nightmare to separate. If you want to chip them, use your excavator to pull out one at a time, butt first, if you can. Even that won't be easy.

As for chips on your trails, wood chips beat mud any day for driving on.

/ Woodchipper and chip piles #12  
I have the same chipper and it makes great chips if you want to use them for something. I have used them for fill on trails once in a while. The vast majority of them I just blow into the woods in a big area, they blend in quickly and rot away quickly. People will happily take them too if you give them away, you likely could sell them too, but that's too much work for me.

/ Woodchipper and chip piles #13  
As said give them away "FREE" spread them in low area or on banks,mother earth will make short order of them.

/ Woodchipper and chip piles #14  
I have 70 wooded acres, and had controlled burns several times over the years to clear parts. It isn't particularly hard or dangerous if done right.

1st I hire a guy that has a large excavator with a thumb. He pushes down the trees, I cut off anything I want for saw logs (I have a small bandmill) or firewood, the rest gets shoved in a pile with his 650 JD dozer w/root rake. If you don't want the logs or firewood, they should be an easy sell, or worst case, give away free.

2nd, he digs a 6-10' deep pit near the brush/tops pile, and starts a fire with some of it in the pit. He puts the machine between the pile and pit, reaches around and grabs a bunch, shakes it to get as much dirt off it as will come off, then rotates over the pit and drops it on the fire. Repeat until gone, mixing in stumps as the fire gets really hot.

Of course, you want to wait to do this until you have fairly wet weather so any flying embers don't have any chance to catch, but the kind of weather we've had in the last few weeks is great...couple inches of rain per week, you'd be hard pressed to set the woods on fire with a drum of diesel fuel.

Final is grade the dirt back over the hole to bury the pit, and any stumps that didn't burn up 100%.

Most recently, we did a 3acre patch last year about this time, cost me $5,000 for him, another couple hundred for some day laborers to put up rocks/roots that slip thru the dozer rake, then I sowed it in fescue and red clover....well on it's way to making pasture now.

/ Woodchipper and chip piles
Hmm, guess I could just scatter the chips in the woods. I've got several places I could find to use them to control runoff or errosion I guess.

Are they good to use for covering grass seed?

I don't know what kind of trees they are / were. No pines though.

/ Woodchipper and chip piles #16  
We use them all the time in the garden between rows to keep the mud down. Used them to slow run off and help prevent erosion, and real easy to give away especially if you have a loader and will drop them in someones trailer!

/ Woodchipper and chip piles #17  
Every spring I thin my pine forests - 750 to 900 small, 6" or less - pine trees. I manually pull them to where I can bunch them with my grapple. Then with my Wallenstein BX62S I chip them all. I blow the chips here, there, everywhere and in a couple years nature has taken them all back.

I also get a few BIG pines that succumb to pine bark beetle every year. I cut those into ten foot chunks, make a big pile and wait for the winter snow when I will burn the pile.

/ Woodchipper and chip piles #19  
No, the decaying chips steals nitrogen the grass needs to grow.

Plus grass seed needs good soil contact the chips would prevent. You aren't growing grass where there are wood chips. Check out the bare or weedy areas where people have had stumps ground out. You have to remove all the chips, fill with dirt and even that proves difficult.

/ Woodchipper and chip piles
Ah ok, makes sense that they wouldn't be good substitute for straw covering grass seed.

Picked up a Wallenstein BX42 today. Looks like it's never been used. Guy said his dad bought it new last year and used it about an hour during a fence row clean up and then put it inside. Stopped on the way home and picked up a set of Tomahwk 48" pallet forks. Merry Christmas to me I guess haha

Hope to get to try the chipper out this week.