Chipper Woodland Mills Chipper WC68 Review

/ Woodland Mills Chipper WC68 Review #1  

BLSXJ

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
A couple weeks ago I picked up a new WC68 wood chipper from Woodland Mills. There main location is just a few hours away from me, so I picked the chipper up in person. I had called ahead, so they knew I was coming and had everything ready to go when I got there. The staff where super friendly. Kudos to the fork lift driver who took the time to make sure I was happy with where the crate was in my trailer and even gave me a hand strapping it down. I used a little 4x8 trailer to pick up the chipper, as I have a cap on the back of F150.

WARNING: this chipper is heavy! I maxed out my FEL trying to unload it. (LA463 FEL) I was able to get it, after I pulled it right to the back of my trailer, so it wasn't on the tips of the pallet forks.

First impression...:thumbsup:

Best packaged item I have ever purchased! It comes on a steel pallet, with a steel cage around it. theirs a bit of cardboard that acts as a dust cover. and every piece is bubble wrapped and shrink wrapped.

IMG_0430.JPG

/ Woodland Mills Chipper WC68 Review
Assembly is straight forward. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. I would recommend you get a second set of hands to help you. I took me 2 hours to put it together, plus another 45 minutes to measure, cut, measure and cut the PTO shaft.
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG

The chipper did have a bit of "shipping rash" where some of the panels rubbed on stuff. A quick call and email to Woodland Mills, and a small bottle of touch up paint was on my door step in 48 hours! the bottle was delivered before I received the shipping notice! They're Customer service has been excellent!

A quick comment on weld / build quality. None of the welds look like a stack of dimes. But they all looked like they had good penetration and no porosity. everything fit together with a little work. there were a few pieces that required a bit of effort to align, but a second set of hands would have made it easy.

The new discharge chute!

It seems like Woodland Mills has re-designed the discharge chute.
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG

It now uses a spring pin to lock the rotation and no longer has a reduction in diameter. Which I hope means it will be easy to use and wont clog.

/ Woodland Mills Chipper WC68 Review #5  
I got a new WC88 last month and it is a beast. Chipped several large dump trailers full already and it has exceeded my expectations.

/ Woodland Mills Chipper WC68 Review #6  
I bought 1 last month used a on a couple jobs - close to paying for itself , does good for a small chipper , its not a 20,000 machine that takes everything you throw at it but does a great job on branches . I went to harbor freight and bought some casters - and turned the bottom of shipping crate into a rolling storage pallet -so you can push it off to a corner for next time

/ Woodland Mills Chipper WC68 Review #7  
... I went to harbor freight and bought some casters - and turned the bottom of shipping crate into a rolling storage pallet -so you can push it off to a corner for next time

A bit OT, but I bought a few of the smaller 1000lb moving dollies on sale for $8 each last week. The exact same castors that were on the dollies were $5 ea.

I plan on doing the same with the pallet bottom.

I've only got about 30 minutes on the chipper now... forgot the camera:banghead:
I've got piles of dry pine to chip this weekend if the weather holds up.

I got about 2 hours of chipping done over the weekend. I chipped everything! I did big and small pine bows. 5.5" green poplar, 1/2 rotted birch, 4" green oak, 4" dry oak. small stuff, Big stuff, green stuff, dry stuff, rotted stuff.

The chipper performed flawlessly!:thumbsup:

my only comments, not complaints, are
1. When the down pressure on the feed roller is set up for small stuff, getting big stuff started under the drive roller is difficult. simply cutting big stuff at an angle will be the solution I use for this.

2. the in-feed feed chute / discharge chute / ROPS bar all occupy a very small space together. If I could leave my ROPS up, this would not be a problem. but it takes some coordination with everything so compact.