WoodMaxx TM-86H adaption

/ WoodMaxx TM-86H adaption
You have it 100% correct. The chipper has an independent hydraulic circuit.

The power flow is;
Deutz > hydraulic PTO > hydraulic motor on chipper > drive shaft >WoodMaxx hydraulic pump > wood in-feed motor

I did this because the WoodMaxx folks said that they ended up being limited by the accumulation of heat in their skid steer design. My thinking was that I would keep hydraulic circuits separate to start with, evaluate the heat issue, and go from there. The oil on the WoodMaxx side does get warm, so I am glad that I left it as a separate circuit and fluid reservoir. I have a short list things that could be done to lower the chipper oil temperature. (Larger chipper hydraulic hose diameters, hydraulic cooler)

Overall, I think that build quality on the chipper is great. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

All the best,

Peter

So set me straight on this, please. The only hydraulic power coming off of your PT is to power the motor that turns the PTO shaft on the chipper?

That PTO shaft then powers the chipper wheel AND a separate hydraulic pump (included on the chipper unit) and that separate pump is what powers hydraulic motor on the feeder?

Quick follow up two years later.
PROS:
The chipper is still going strong.
I have had several all day chipping events, and it pours out cubic yards and yards of chips. If I keep the logs out of the mud and dirt the blades stay sharp for a long period of time.
Sharpening the blades turns out to be easy with a low speed wet wheel.

CONS: It needs to have a fairly level site to prime the hydraulic feeder, but that's a piece of cake with a PT.
Small fat pieces can jam the blade; I have learned to leave limbs long.

If I were doing it again, I would have added a way to reverse the flow hydraulically to unjam the chipper faster. I would say that I would not attempt to power the WoodMaxx T-86H with anything less than 12GPM at 3000psi.

All the best,

Peter

Update:

Almost six years later, it is still going strong. I understand better what it feed speeds it needs to chip various materials and rarely stall it anymore. I upgraded the feed chute deflector hand wheels after I lost one in a big chipping event (150ish packed cu. yds. of tree limbs)

I won't lie; I would love to have a PTO that reverses every so often. But the details of shoehorning a new PTO valve that reverses into the tub hasn't made it to the top of my do list.

All the best,

Peter