Woods 9000 w/thumb-pictures

/ Woods 9000 w/thumb-pictures #21  
Treeboone

I don't think mine is better than yours, just different. At least you can replace your teeth on the thumb. Also to adjust the angle and stowing of the thumb on yours is easier. I did put it to the test last summer with about 70 hrs of feild stone work with the hoe and thumb. I attached a photo of my backhoe looks similar to the woods. It's a New Holland hoe, claimed to be made in the USA, by who I don't know. The mounting are similar too. A mouth under the drawbar and two pins on the brackets underneath the loader arms.

By the way nice looking hoe, mine was ONCE that clean and scratchless.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

Attachments

• 5-51489-backhoe.JPG
    5-51489-backhoe.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 217
   / Woods 9000 w/thumb-pictures #22  
A better picture of the thumb. The yellow thumb linked before was a picture Attachment Sales e-mailed me before I bought it. I cost $550 and I had to weld it on myself.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

Attachments

• 5-51491-Thumb.JPG
    5-51491-Thumb.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 307
   / Woods 9000 w/thumb-pictures
What a beautiful landscaping job! You do with a tractor what most people would love to do with a paintbrush. My hat is off to you. I looked at the Rankin thumb and realized they had used two box scraper scarifers for the thumb. Since you have put a number of hours on your hoe, have you found any reoccuring problems? I was surprised to find a lack of preference for fluids on the Woods. Hydraulic oil, automatic transmission fluid, motor oil, whatever...according to the manual. Thought I would change it out (10 gallons) after 20 hours or so, do you have any suggestions for fluid?

/ Woods 9000 w/thumb-pictures #24  
Thanks for the kind words. As you know it takes a lot of work. Even with the tractor we still had to do work by hand. I have a little leakage (internal) on main boom cylinder. Dealer is coming to look at it soon. One thing I found is to grease it often. I grease it almost every time I use it. I did have one hydraulic hose blow, due to improper routing from the factory, it got pinched and blew. My hoe connects to the tractor hydraulics so I use what NH recommends. You might want to call Woods or your dealer and ask what came with it. But my guess would be to use hydraulic oil. Maybe synthetic oil?

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

It sounds like your hoe is a good one, hopefully mine will be as troublefree. The first thing to get my attention was the oil tank, (being self contained) it needs a skid plate. I was backing into position and caught a small stump, it bent a light guage steel bar that "protects" the tank. The manual that came from Wood's does not specify a particular oil, but says it can use ATF, motor oil, or hydraulic oil. It gives some specifics on each type of oil, but not what kind of oil. Rather interesting compared to the rigid "requirements" of namebrand equipment. That seems a bit cavalier, I think I will give them a call, maybe I misread it.

I drained and refilled with hydraulic/transmission fluid. Glad to report the drain oil appeared normal and no chunks in the pickup screen. The friendly JD dealership gave me the conversion number for the filter, so off to the car parts house and got a Wix filter. I also took the hoe off for the second time and needed a half hour this time, much better. I am well pleased with its performance. It is going to need alot of floor space for storage in the winter. So it looks like another shed is in order.