Woods BB48 Blade Nuts...

/ Woods BB48 Blade Nuts... #11  
john_bud said:
Elim,

Do you really have a Woods Brush Bull 48? I thought that all of the BrushBull line had small bolts holding a tab that contains the pivot pin for the blades. I'm not familiar with the 48, and want to get the facts straight!

jb
You're not the only one that thought that. I did also. That tab set-up is worth it's weight in gold.

/ Woods BB48 Blade Nuts...
Maybe it is an older/newer model change?

I have not had any dealings with the tab setup you are talking about, but they would have to be better than killing yourself getting these off. They add a new meaning to the word tight!

/ Woods BB48 Blade Nuts... #13  
Elim said:
Maybe it is an older/newer model change?

I have not had any dealings with the tab setup you are talking about, but they would have to be better than killing yourself getting these off. They add a new meaning to the word tight!

Ok I see it's a Woods (not that I doubted you!) , and it is a BrushBull and not one of the other Woods models of cutters. (I checked the Woodsonline.com web site!) It looks like the current generation of standard duty cutters don't have the quick change blades. Too bad, it's the best feature!

Basically, the blade is held on by a hardened pin with a mushroom head on the bottom (blade side) and a groove on the other end that reduces the diameter. The pin goes up thru the stump jumper and a square plate with a keyhole cut in it goes over the pin. That plate then is pulled down so the narrow part of the keyhole is supporting the pin in the groove. A keeper is then inserted into the hole of the keyhole and into the exposed groove. The keeper is bolted down with a 5/8th headed bolt. To change the blade, you use a 3/8th ratchet to undo the bolt. Tap the keeper out of the way, tap the keyhole plate off and the pin either falls out or you just tap it out. I have done both blades in 15 minutes with out cussing or straining.

Here is a small pic of the top of the blade retention system from the woods web site.

I hope you have an air impact wrench to put on the 450 ft-lb of torque that bolt needs. Oh, and don't forget to goop it up good with neverseze.

jb

Last edited: