Mowing Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x

/ Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x #1  

xplosivetech

Tractor
2013 KIOTI DK40SE HST
I am in the process of purchasing a new Kioti DK40SE and will also be purchasing a Woods Bush Hog. I would really like to get the BB720X in case I upgrade tractors in 5 years or so I won't out grow the cutter. The only problem is will that be to much for the Kioti now. I like the fact that it can cut up to 3" material, not that I would cut that large, but if I cut 1.5" - 2" size material on a regular basis I would not be at the max limit of the BB72X. If anyone has either of these with this tractor please let me know what you think.

Price Quote BB720x $3250.00 1,200 lbs
BB72x $2400.00 800 lbs

A lot of saving for the smaller cutter if you all think that is all that I would need. I will be using it to cut small brush on occassion.

Thanks in Advance!

/ Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x #2  
Why do you think its too much for the DK?

/ Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x #3  
I recently looked at a used bb720x at a kioti dealer. The customer who traded it in owned a dk40 and said it was to heavy for his tractor. Honestly I think you'd be ok as long as you had the loader on. Whether you need it or not....that's a different story. I run a 172 rhino which is the equivalent duty of a bb72 woods and it's holding up well to rough, almost commercial use. Even if I trade up in tractors someday I figure I'll just run the cutter out then get a bigger one. Next to rhino woods was my second choice. They make awful good equipment and I like their blade change set up.

/ Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x
Why do you think its too much for the DK?

The Woods dealer thought it was a lot of cutter for a 40HP tractor. It is only half of the 3 pts capability though, so it should be fine, but I was curious if anyone had one that size with the Kioti and if it would handle it fine.

/ Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x #5  
I use a Land pride 72" that cuts up to 3" saplings but I don't do that often.

/ Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x #6  
I run a Woods BB72 and have no issues with it. I've only used it once w/ the FEL off the tractor and still no issues that I recall. I leave my FEL but will drop the bucket sometimes.....mainly for maneuvering as I use it to mow the lawn in addition to cutting the field! I'll mow the lawn w/ it @ 2000 rpms. I'll bump it up to 2400-2500 if I'm cutting a heavy/thick field.

It does a good job of cutting the width of the rears on the DK40.

I have filled rears and when I'm picking up our 300 gallon tote (w/ forks) w/ 200 gallons of water in it to water our trees along the property edge, I'll put the BB72 on for counter-weight.

I have no issues/problems with it.....only thing I'd change is a chain guard on the back of it to let the debris/clippings straight out the rear - I could put a chain guard on but its not that big of a deal.

Go for it!!! Good luck.

/ Woods BB72x or Woods BB720x #7  
I recently looked at a used bb720x at a kioti dealer. The customer who traded it in owned a dk40 and said it was to heavy for his tractor. Honestly I think you'd be ok as long as you had the loader on.

Heavy cutters can result in a "tail wagging the dog" situation. However, as long as the tail wheel is on the ground, the tractor is not bearing all of the weight.
If you have a reasonable PTO HP rating, I'd go for the heavier cutter, if that's what you think you need.
Getting back to the weight of the heavier cutter....you don't have to transport cutters in the raised position. I normally towed the cutter with the tail wheel on the ground. My first tractor/cutter combo was a Deere 670 and a 60" Landpride cutter. The cutter weighed about 35% of the tractor's weight. Although the 670 easily lifted the cutter, turning was chancy (tail wagging the dog). So, rather then take a chance, I always towed the cutter (top link disconnected...better "float") and continued to do that when I traded up to a 790. Less potential for damaging the 3PH too, BTW.
Anyway, that's what I did and it worked for me...might work for the OP too.

Also, if you do transport a cutter (any implement, really), there is absolutely no need to raise the cutter (or other implement) to the upper limit of the 3PH travel. It's safer if you keep the implement lower.