Woods BH6000 on a BX2200?

/ Woods BH6000 on a BX2200? #11  
Tom_H points out some really good points. I've got about 200 hours with my BH6000 and I can point out some of the issues/annoyances that I have had. I will say the overall the unit has been a digging monster and I've had the chance to dig with it side by side against the BX23 and the BX24. The general opinion of the users has been that in some instances the BH6000 felt stronger. I can't be sure but it might be due to the fact it is built to go onto multiple tractors so it might be build to a slightly higher capability.

The concerns of the sub frame being stronger on a BX23 or a BX24 is not a valid concern at all. If you compare the designs and study how the sub frame is constructed and installed, it might actually be stronger than OEM. That is from a NY State DOT engineer that looked at it while I was playing on ATV trails in NY. It is possible since you know that Woods does not want to have an issue with the BH damaging a tractor and basically killing their business.

As far as issues, the lower ROPS has been an issue at times but generally only with new users to the setup. Once you are 'aware' of the concern, you can work with it. I still get a good bang on the head every so often however. I'm 6' 2" however. I did have a custom made hinged ROPS on for awhile, but it was too tall for the garage, so it was removed for the stock one.

The seat mount could be better. It was cutting the hydro connections under the seat until the dealer, Messicks, fixed it for me. Messicks also did the install which was perfect. The money spent to have it installed is well worth it. Just make sure you ask for the parts to return it to stock should you choose to do so. I forgot to do that and still need to get them from Messicks if its still even possible.

The stock hydraulic fittings on the BH have leaked three times and I'm about ready to have them replaced again. Only the two fittings that connect to the tractor have leaked. A PITA, but not a critical issue.

On and off is very simple and I can do it quicker than the BX23 that I had for comparison for a few weeks.

A thumb is a must add. I never added one to mine since my situation with the BH was a bit different than most. I would make sure you add one. It makes the versatility of the BH limitless. The design of Bird's is the one that I'm most impressed with. I'm sure that the magazine I was working for at the time would've bought any model I wanted, but his would be the one I would've wanted had been it been out at the time. I never installed one since I was not thrilled with the design of any of the thumbs on the market at the time. I planned to have one made custom.

The interference with the 3PH is an issue, but not a show stopper. With anything other than my RB, it has not been an issue. I think the lack of vertical lift on any of the older BX's was an issue with full size cat 1 implements. With everything else that I've use on the 3PH, it has not been an issue.

Overall, I would go this route again if I already had a tractor. Would I go this route if I was starting from scratch? Maybe, the design and capabilities of the BH6000 have really impressed me. I do like the Kubota loader design on the BX24 better, but the Woods loader at the time was as good if not better than the loader for the BX2230 or BX23 at the time. It take me longer to remove than the BH by the way. Right now, its driving me nutz since it has started to get limp on me when a load. Still working on fixing it.

If you want to talk about the FEL or BH, PM me and I'll send a number. If you were closer, I'd let you play, I mean 'test' it a bit.

/ Woods BH6000 on a BX2200? #12  
I now have a full weekend under my belt with a BH6000 on my 2230 and it is very nice. You can't open all the hydraulics simultaneously (raise boom while rotating dipperstick and/or adjusting horizontal angle), but that is not unexpected in a machine this small.

I went with the Wallenstein Thumb and have been a little bummed. The dipperstick for the Woods unit is smaller than that of the Kubota unit, so I've been left to 'modifications' to try and make it fit. It worked exceptionally for a while (the serrated teeth work very well to grab things), but the forces imposed by the bucket are SOOOO huge that things must be mounted VERY tightly. The thumb is off until I can make further modifications.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Woods unit. As someone previously pointed out, the seat thing could have been made just a tad better (feels a little "wiggley" under your butt when in the forward postion and doesn't 'positively lock' in the rotated BH position). If you have no particular reason to sell your BX2200 other than to get a BH, the BH6000 is a great way to go.

/ Woods BH6000 on a BX2200? #13  
Tom_H said:
My apologies if you felt offended. His quote was for an uninstalled backhoe. Some dealers' prices for an install are higher than yours. Also, members who have installed their own backhoes have reported that it is not a simple or quick proceedure. When someone makes a point of fact, that does not have to be taken as a personal slight, and I had no intention of offending you. I again apologize if you felt that way. Members here can point out inaccuracies of information and even have differences of opinion without taking it personally.

Tom, no offense taken...really...I'm sorry if I offended you with my perceived offense.:) But seriously... I haven't noticed any problems yet regarding the 3 point hitch limitations. All I use the 3P for is a box blade for now, but I am about to buy a PHD this summer, so hopefully it won't be an issue with that either. The frame mount actually seems to add rigidity to the frame. I have not experienced any frame flexing while using the BH. And I have had occasion to dig out some pretty large rocks. If you are choosing between buying a new BX24 or adding a Woods BH, all I can say is that I had the same question. I looked at the 24, and I didn't like all the plastic. I knew that I loved my 2200, but I read all the concerns about the Rops not being big enough and the frame not being designed for the BH etc... I took a chance and bought the Woods. I had it installed by the local Bobcat dealer (I would definitely recommend the professional install) and have never looked back! I am just shy of 6' and have no problem with the Rops. As for Keith's observation about not being able to raise the Boom while rotating the dipper stick, well..you can..sort of.. It just takes a lot of practice, and it really slows down the movement in both directions. But it is really fun practicing!;) And after reading about the Thumb, I am really hoping that the Thumb Fairy pays me a visit soon. That sounds like a very practical attachment.
This thing continues to amaze me. Hope this helps...Mike

/ Woods BH6000 on a BX2200? #14  
I think I have decided on the BX24 or a 2350, I really would like the hoe but don't have to have it right now. I could use the dollars on other toys(tools):D
As long as I can add it later, with a decent setup I may go with the 2350

/ Woods BH6000 on a BX2200? #15  
Roadkill95 said:
I think I have decided on the BX24 or a 2350, I really would like the hoe but don't have to have it right now. I could use the dollars on other toys(tools):D

You have to do what's right for you. Keep in mind, however, that the price difference between a 2350 and a 24 averages $3500. Adding a BH6000 later will run you about $5200-$5300.

Some plastics, like PVC, deteriorate from sunlight as UV rays break large polymers down into smaller molecules. I don't know what the Kubota plastics are made from. I do know that some materials that resemble plastics, like resin impregnated fiberglass, do not break down. I've seen fiberglass/resin canoes that have been heavily used for almost 40 years and still have maintained their structural integrity.

/ Woods BH6000 on a BX2200? #16  
Roadkill95 said:

Hey Roadkill....I am right down the road from you :)

I cannot comment on the woods, but I can tell you, with patience the hoe on the BX24 can get some serious work done. One of the reasons I bought the BX24 was for digging up about 35 cedar stumps I had to remove. After spending 5 - 6 painstaking hours working on one of the small ones with a shovel, pick, chain and a come-a-long, I gave up....It barely wiggled....I had it out in about 10 minutes with the BX24 :)

It obviously comes down to your needs. For my 1.1 acres I find it hard to believe I couldn't tackle anything thrown at it, given enough time. :)

Good luck....