Woods BH7500 backhoe

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #11  
My thought is that if I spent $2500 on the BH and $2000 on the subframe I may as well by a brand new BH. I think the NH dealer told me he would sell me a 758C for $6900 installed with frame mount.

My math skills tell me that the BH7500 with a new subframe costs $4500 which is $2400 less than a new 758C. In my mind, the over/under on that deal is much in favor of the subframe installation of the Woods hoe. The package is 35% less.

That said, you should shop around for the proper Woods subframe. Woods dealer pricing is very much dependent on a discount structure, which is in turn dependent on volume. A low-volume Woods dealer is operating at a price disadvantage inn many cases.

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #13  
Would the "new" backhoe be the improved curved boom design? I thought about that when I bought mine, but decided it was not worth the xtra dollars.

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #14  
While I clearly think a sub-frame would be superior, There are several issues that come to mind about this BH on a TC35.

Pros:
It's $1400 cheaper.
Tractor has an existing loader subframe.
The TC35 is near the top HP rating suggested by Woods.
The NH running gears on the Class III Boomers seem to be heavier than a comparable Kubota.
A 3PH backhoe is probably easier to remove than a subframe mount.
Woods shows a 3PH mount on a NH for their newer BH-7X.
And last, but not least...If SteveInMD can get away with it on a TC33D which has no subframe whatsoever, then it seems a no-brainer for a TC35.

Cons:
A subframe is safer...no argument.
Any damage caused by the 3PH mounting will make $1400 look like pocket change.
With a subframe, you would not have to be so careful about shockloads to the tractor from the BH while doing heavy FEL work or driving on rough terrain.

I guess maybe a 3PH would allow you to remove the BH when doing other types of work, and you could just be more cautious when the BH is mounted. I think you just have to decide how you use your tractor and whether the risk is worth savings. One thing for sure, just because you put on a 3PH mounting, it doesn't stop you from continuing to look for a bargain sub-frame.

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe
One thing for sure, just because you put on a 3PH mounting, it doesn't stop you from continuing to look for a bargain sub-frame.

Jim,
I was thinking the same thing.

RickB,
I see where you are coming from. I did do a little searching for a better deal on the mount but I couldn't find much savings elsewhere. I just don't see what makes these mounts so expensive? The only thing I can think of is that because they are custom and low volume they cost alot to make.

Egon,
I have a welder and access to all the free steel I would need but the time it would take to do it properly is hard to come by. I may do as Jim suggests and buy a 3pt mount and later on try making a mount using the Kubota subframe that comes with it.

magicheater,
The new backhoe is a New Holland (not sure who really makes it. I think maybe Bradco) 758C.

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #16  
Unfortunately, part of the cost is liability insurance because even if someone doesn't use it properly, they will be sued.

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #17  
I have a Woods 7500 backhoe on my TC33D. It was bought used, set up as a 3 pt hitch mount. After a couple of uses, it became obvious to me that I needed a subframe. I ended up going with the Woods 4 pt quick-hitch subframe. Woods did not sell one to fit my tractor, but they did sell one to fit the TC33DA (which is slightly different than the TC33D). MY dealer was willing to try it and see, and make a few modifications if needed. As it turns out, they didn't need to modify anything... it just bolted right on. It cost me $1000 installed, but that was probably 4 or 5 years ago.

I've been very happy with it. The subframe remains on the tractor all the time. The back hoe goes on and off quickly. I can remove it in under 5 minutes, even when I'm way out of practice. If I've had it on and off recently and refreshed my memory on the steps, it comes off in about 2 minutes. Putting it on takes a bit longer, but still a painless, quick process. I was no faster with the 3 pt mount than I am with the subframe. The only real difference is I'm using the BH hydraulics alone to jockey it up and down and align it, as opposed to using the 3PH hydraulics when I had the 3 pt mount.

The difference in operation is night and day. The subframe mount is so much more solid, and so much less to worry about. When working in the stubborn, rocky soil we have here, or digging up stumps, I've NEVER regretted going with the subframe mount.

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #18  
That's seems like a reasonable price. Can you tell me kit number you have? I'm having trouble finding the right one for my TC33D.

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #19  
That's seems like a reasonable price. Can you tell me kit number you have? I'm having trouble finding the right one for my TC33D.

No idea of the kit number. All I recall is that I was going to buy Woods' older model subframe, and my dealer said "you may want to wait a bit. Woods just came out with a 4 point quick attach subframe for their backhoes. I haven't seen one to fit the TC33D yet." After waiting for some time and not hearing anything, I caught back up to him and asked what the deal was. He and the service guys at the dealership spoke with Woods, who said they did not have one for the TC33D. They did have one for a model which followed the TC33D (I believe the TC33DA??). Woods said there was nothing for my model.

The guys at my dealership kept digging, and comparing the models. They came to the conclusion that the subframe for the next model just might fit mine, or could be modified without too much trouble. We gambled and ordered it. As it turned out, it bolted right on with no modifications. The only trouble they ran into is that they had to relocate the hydraulic outlets to my rear remotes, since they got in the way (if you don't have rear hydraulic remotes, this won't be an issue for you).

After the installation, I found that the stabilizers to my lower 3 Pt hitch arms were bent. I replaced them, then found them bent again. I just couldn't figure this out... Finally, I found out that when I was driving through a ditch with my brush hog on, the ditch was pushing the mower (and thus the lower 3 Pt arms) up as I drove up the other side. It turns out the handles on the pins that you drop in to lock the stabilizer arms at the desired setting were sticking up high enough that they hit part of the subframe (which remains on the tractor all the time )when the lower 3 pt arms were forced up. These were basically limiting the upward movement of the 3 pt arms, but the ground was still pushing up on the mower. Replacing those pins with bolts solved the problem... the bolt heads don't stick up above the arms enough to make contact.

I've got a call in to my dealer to check what kit they used. He' sresearching what they did on mine... he's thinking it may have been the kit for an older model, rather than the newer TC33DA I was thinking. I'll also check the current price... steel prices have been all over the map since then, so I'm sure it's more expensive these days.

John Mc

/ Woods BH7500 backhoe #20  
SteveInMD -

I stopped by my dealer today. The guy who was looking up the subframe info to put a Woods 4 pt quick attach subframe on a TC33D was not there, but he had left some notes. Their current price was $1508. The person looking at the notes was prety sure this price included installation. There were two numbers written down near the prices. One was 1013460 (might have been 1013466 ??). From where it was written, we both assumed this was the subframe itself. There was another number written nearby: 1013484. This may have been some sort of hose kit?? We'll find out more when the guy who researched my installation gets back in.

I don't think I had any hose kit on mine, since I kept the PTO hydraulic pump that came with my used backhoe, rather than hooking up to the tractor hydraulics. If you don't need the hose kit either, you may save some money (if in fact that second part number was a hose kit).