Woods TSG50 Control Kit Help

/ Woods TSG50 Control Kit Help #1  

Katahdin

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420
I picked up a "used" Woods TSG50 Stump Grinder yesterday for a very reasonable price. My family recently had some logging done on the homestead and I convinced them to put some of the proceeds towards a stump grinder if I could find a good deal on one. My dilemma is this grinder appears to have the "Electric Solenoid Kit" installed and its missing wiring harness parts. I was hoping someone could help me identify all the wire and/or control parts that are missing.

History about this unit: It was traded in with a tractor to a dealer. The dealer is not a Woods dealer. The stump grinder sat on the lot for about a year. The dealer has either misplaced the wiring harness, or it was never removed from the tractor that was traded in. The tractor dealer so far is cooperating in trying to find me the missing parts.

This is the controller I received with the unit. I do not have the wiring that it plugs into.
control.jpg

This is the electric solenoid valve and connectors. I am also missing the wiring that plugs into these connectors. Should I assume its the same wiring harness that connects to the controller also pictured above?
valve.jpg

Some questions:
1) How should this control kit tie into the tractor's electric system? Does it have its own wire/fuse etc to the battery?

2) Am I missing any other controllers/switches?

3) A part number I've found for the wiring harness assembly is E0066. How much would this part cost if I had to buy new?

4) The electric solenoid kit is designed to work with a tractor that has one rear remote. My LX has two rear remotes. Would it be better to just remove the electric solenoid kit and replace it with hoses to my two rear remotes?

Curious what all of your thoughts are, hopefully some of you have this electric solenoid kit...Thanks!

/ Woods TSG50 Control Kit Help #2  
In general, the solenoid valve appears to be a dual solenoid control .

Even if you can not find the wiring harness, you could just wire up a switch to control each of the solenoids.

You need a hot lead with fuse, and ground.

Can you determine which cyl each solenoid operate by following the hoses.

OEM Parts

Call these people for the wiring harness.

OEM Parts
%20aribrand=LPD#%2fWoods%2fTSG50_Stump_Grinder%2f1021822_Electric_Selector_Valve_Kit_(OPTIONAL)%2f3088%2fAS-5416

HomeSeaman, Ohio937-386-2440

Washington Court House, Ohio740-335-8821

Batavia, Ohio513-732-2300

/ Woods TSG50 Control Kit Help
Thanks for the info and links JJ. I think I can determine which solenoid controls each cylinder and wire up some controls.

The dealer looked into ordering the missing wiring harness and came to the conclusion it must be made of gold. The solution we came to yesterday was they will make me four hoses to hook the cylinders up to the dual remotes on the LX, no extra charge. I'm satisfied with this outcome. The electric solenoid feature was not something I was looking for and was not factored into the price.

I think I might like to use this solenoid valve for something else, like integrating my snow plow with the tractor's hydraulics. The snow plow I use with my LX was designed for a truck and still retains its 12V hydraulic pump and controls. Hmm....

/ Woods TSG50 Control Kit Help #4  
Hi, I am looking for a stump grinder for the exact same reason. Did you succeed in getting your stump grinder to work? I must admit I am a bit baffled as to the electric solenoid part...it would seem you would simply have the twin valve controls and the unit, but that is before endless safety concerns no doubt.
In the meantime, given that you got the unit to work, was it worth it? Did it do the job for you?

/ Woods TSG50 Control Kit Help
Yes sir, the dealer made good on their promise and sent me the factory hose kit which arrived directly from Woods. I just had to purchase the quick-connects and fittings that matched up to my Yanmar LX and turn the wrenches. Everything worked as expected - one hydraulic remote lever controls the up/down action, the second lever controls side-to-side action. The spinning grinder wheel of course is spun by the tractor PTO.

Re the job, I have not reached my main objective down in our woods for fear of getting stuck (hilly wet clay trail, a wet fall, heavy snow cover) but I have levelled about 2 dozen stumps in easier to access locations. I am pleased with the unit this far, the stumps I've ground have been in the 8" to 20" size range and of soft wood. I plan to attack a 1-year-old maple stump about 3 feet across once mud season is over.

The grinder is easy to operate with two remote levers, and from the operator seat you have good visibility looking over your right shoulder. I can also stand beside the tractor and operate the grinder that way.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics or video of the grinder in action to offer, but I hope to create some once conditions improve. Thanks for asking!

/ Woods TSG50 Control Kit Help #6  
Dear Katahdin,
Thanks for the quick reply. Strangely my Deere 955(second-hand) came with an odd twin lever mount on the rear fender, which had me hopeful that I could run the Woods TSG50 with it, but close examination showed it to have only 4 connections: one in and out from the tractor; only two (in/out) from the controls...so I can only guess that one lever is a "safety on-off) and the other is the actual lever. Anyway it appears that I will need the remote control module.
Still hoping I can find a used one, but the only one I have found is in Va and the guy wants retail new list price along with where is/as is...good luck with that.

Still wondering what electronic controls are on your unit..

Yes sir, the dealer made good on their promise and sent me the factory hose kit which arrived directly from Woods. I just had to purchase the quick-connects and fittings that matched up to my Yanmar LX and turn the wrenches. Everything worked as expected - one hydraulic remote lever controls the up/down action, the second lever controls side-to-side action. The spinning grinder wheel of course is spun by the tractor PTO.

Re the job, I have not reached my main objective down in our woods for fear of getting stuck (hilly wet clay trail, a wet fall, heavy snow cover) but I have levelled about 2 dozen stumps in easier to access locations. I am pleased with the unit this far, the stumps I've ground have been in the 8" to 20" size range and of soft wood. I plan to attack a 1-year-old maple stump about 3 feet across once mud season is over.

The grinder is easy to operate with two remote levers, and from the operator seat you have good visibility looking over your right shoulder. I can also stand beside the tractor and operate the grinder that way.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics or video of the grinder in action to offer, but I hope to create some once conditions improve. Thanks for asking!