Word of warning!

/ Word of warning! #1  

Anonymous Poster

I had a "fun" ride on my TC29D last weekend. Actually, it wasn't any fun at all and I learned a lesson! I was mowing with my 6' Land Pride finish mower, which weighs about 650 lbs. I started down a steep hill, which I've mowed before, and wasn't paying close enough attention to my driving (mistake #1) because I was busy holding tree branches out of my face. This hill is steep and when I crested over the top and started down, the mower came off the ground, so all of the weight of the mower shifted to the tractor. I was in low range and the ground was dry, so I was in 2WD (mistake #2). The tractor started to speed up, so I let off the hydro pedal, but it was too late - the weight of the tractor and mower had already taken over (I didn't realize that the rear wheels were already starting to skid, even though I hadn't hit the brakes yet, I guess it's because I was in low range and the wheels weren't turning as fast as the tractor wanted to go and then I hit a bare spot where there was some loose dirt). I was caught off guard and of hit the brakes too hard (mistake #3) and locked up the rear wheels. I ended up skidding down the hill and was fortunate to keep it going straight down. This hill is close to 45 degrees and I definately don't want to ever get sideways on it. When I looked back up the hill I could see 2 skid marks in the grass. I put it in 4WD and went back up and down the hill with no problem after that. If I would have been in 4WD to start with, I would have had better control, since a lot of the weight shifted from the rear tires to the front tires. I've done enough four wheeling in my CJ-5 that I should have known better! I guess I just didn't realize how steep this hill is, but I walked down it later and nearly had my feet go out from under me!

/ Word of warning! #2  
Thanks for posting. Glad to hear that you (and your tractor) are doing just fine.

I hate that this particular subject keeps coming up but I am glad that everyone is willing to share their misfortune and attempt to warn others. In my opinion this is one area (Safety) where it doesn't hurt someone to hear the topic numerous times.

Check out "Kubota Owning - Wild Ride". I didn't go through all of the posts but I believe that there are references to the previous posting(s) about the same subject. It is worth reviewing.

/ Word of warning! #3  
Yes Dan one can be fool at any given time,so one must be on there toes.

I never encounter what you went thru,but couple of winters ago I was pushing back the snow banks on my driveway...going up hill...when all of a sudden I realize the tractor was side ways plus picking up speed. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif
Yep hit a patch of ice and the patch of ice was longer than I thought for,what a ride I took /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif but when I came to and end of my ride,I check to the tractor over which was fine,but I need a break./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Now I run tire chains all winter long plus./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I guess some manuals don't teach use everything so we must learn by trail and error./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Stay safe and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Word of warning! #4  
Danny, for those of us trying not to get in the same condition would you take a level and a ruler and with the level bubble level measure the rise (the level length is the run). Realize that this can only be an average at best, it would shed some light on exactly what does not work.