Work in progress, office/Storm shelter...

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #11  
Why use a pump truck just use your FEL bucket to lift and dump. If you are worried about splashing concrete just spray your rig down with a little diesel and spray it off before it sets up.

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #12  
A few years ago by brother was pouring something that was too big or too much work to mix and pour by hand and just a size that didn't justify having a cement truck to deliver, so he goes to the concrete place with two 55 gallon drums and tells them to fill them up!

I'm not sure how he emptied them but my guess would be 5 gallon buckets, boom pole and tractor and then pour the rest from the drums.

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #13  
You might be able to do a ferrocement type roof. It should be within the budget. with the steel wire & concrete worked in. Simple and strong with minimal materials (except labor).
Rgds,
tim

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #14  
A few years ago by brother was pouring something that was too big or too much work to mix and pour by hand and just a size that didn't justify having a cement truck to deliver, so he goes to the concrete place with two 55 gallon drums and tells them to fill them up!

I'm not sure how he emptied them but my guess would be 5 gallon buckets, boom pole and tractor and then pour the rest from the drums.

There was an old guy with a 1968 1 ton GMC pick-up that would pull into the ready-mix plant and just fill up a portion of his truck bed with wet-cement... he did walkways, steps and small driveways... he paid me once for a big job and I got to drive the truck back and forth to the ready mix plant... that old truck with split rims was really loaded down... and he had been doing it that way for years...

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #15  
I had an on-site small batch truck come out for a couple of yards that I didn't want to mix by hand in the wheelbarrow. It was relatively affordable as I recall at around $350+/- for concrete, truck and operator. The only thing I don't recall is how high the chute will go since all my stuff was for postholes.

Those trucks are pretty slick in that they show up with the contents in individual hoppers on the truck and are mixed together with water on site, which makes it easy to control the slump of the mix.

I don't know what pumper trucks cost; but I suspect they are far more expensive.

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter...
Had some health issues been gone a while from the forum.. Anyhow here is a few more pics for those who whrere interested in this project...

Although the plate was only 1/4" it is heavy and hard to manuvere

13aPlateRoofgoingon.jpg

13bPlateRoof.jpg

13cPlateRoofFinished..jpg

Wife wanted cedar but after pricing cedar 1x4" and 1x6" I went with cedar fence pickets and ripped some for trim.

13cPlateRoofWelded2Ibeams.jpg

13dcedarceilingNailers.jpg

15cedarceiling.jpg

BathroomProgress3.jpg

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #18  
looks great....i don't know if there was any rebar/steel in the walls but i'd keep me a couple of hammers and some chisels in there!:thumbsup:

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #19  
Chuck, glad you are back, hope your health is back to normal (good) now. You've done a fine job with the shelter, that was using the ole noggin to kill two birds with one stone too! Have a couple questions though.... How did you secure the first course of blocks to the pad? Also, did you finish out the structure with a steel door?

Chuck, glad you are back, hope your health is back to normal (good) now. You've done a fine job with the shelter, that was using the ole noggin to kill two birds with one stone too! Have a couple questions though.... How did you secure the first course of blocks to the pad? Also, did you finish out the structure with a steel door?

Thanks Kebo, prostrate cancer at 50 years old sucks but life goes on..

The brick layers used a hammer drill and set 5/8" rebar every 3' and epoxy them into the slab. They also used mortar between the floor and first course. In hind site I wished I would have had them needle gun the pad area under the first course to give the grout more to adhere to.

I had some extra rebar so a length of rebar was dropped in every hole then filled completely with mortar.

I forget the gauge but yes we finished it out with a commercial metal door. What ever the industry norm. was I went one gauge heavier for piece of mind.

My luck never seems to change..

Finally got aroud to installing my hot water heater and plumbing it in, turned on the water only to have water running out from the deck....

The next problem was to try an figure out where the leak was..

waterleak1.jpg

waterleak2.jpg

waterleak3.jpg

I some how managed to center punch a hot water line with my nail gun :confused2:

Well maybe on my next days off I can get back on it and see what I screw up next :ashamed:...

Last edited: