Workbench top

/ Workbench top #21  
2" stock, ie 2 x 8, 2 x 10 and well screwed down, even bolted as it might warp.
Cover with replaceable plywood or masonite for when it get too beat up.

Solid laminated entry doors also make a good top but add that 'wear' skin.

/ Workbench top #22  
See Photo's

I can't believe a 30' long workbench used almost $500 in materials. I have enough left over for an L shaped bench on the opposite wall, but still expensive. Tempered Masonite glued on over planks makes the top . Once it warms up it will get a couple of coats of poly and I'll paint the wood gloss light grey or green.

Then I'll unpack all my tools and junk.

Attachments

• P1000999.JPG
    P1000999.JPG
    858.7 KB · Views: 893
  • P1000998.jpg
    P1000998.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 350
  • P1000997.jpg
    P1000997.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
   / Workbench top #23  
My work bench is a 3/4 plywood with a metal skin folded over the edges. Works well for me and takes a decent amount of abuse.

/ Workbench top #24  
I have a 20 foot counter along the wall in my shop , I used a heavy built counter top with the back splash built into it the whole length, I also mounted a sink in it for cleaning up. Works really nice and easy to keep clean, for any extreme work, or really heavy items I have a 4 ft X 4 ft Roll-around steel table with 3/8 plate for the top. Just wipe down with a small amount of oil now and then to keep the rust away. :)

/ Workbench top #25  
I was 10 when the newly Retired Navy Commander moved into the area in a home he had bought years ago for retirement... the first thing he did was build a proper work bench.

The neighbors thought it was a neat solid design and many copied it...

The bench and house are now mine... bought the home several years ago and the bench is still rock solid... the home being of 1956 vintage not so much so.

Neat. Do you have a picture?

/ Workbench top #26  
I've always used old solid core doors covered with bent edge aluminum. Nice and solid and the aluminum doesn't scratch.

/ Workbench top #27  
I just built a workbench and used some old maple gym flooring i got for free to top it. I haven't done anything with it yet because the poly takes about 4 days to dry in this cold weather and just got my second coat on.

Took quite a while to do once you account for sawing the tongue and groove off and planing the old finish off. But I think it will work out ok. ... not to mention the price was right :)

/ Workbench top #28  
Here's what I did.

IMG00120.jpg

IMG00119.jpg

/ Workbench top #29  
I built 2 benches in my shop. Both tops are built out of 4x4 doug fir that I plane straight. I joined everything with 1/2 lap joints. The legs are built out of 3" black pipe. I like the 4x4s so that when I mount a vise it is super solid. Tops are made of 3/4 ply with 1/8' masonite on 1/2 and the other 1/2 is 1/8 steel plate so I can weld and cut on it.

/ Workbench top #30  
I used oak tongue and groove flooring. You can buy it unfinished for around a $1.00 a sq.ft. I can't remember what I finished it with, but it has held up well going on 30 years. eddy622611