Workin the Wheel Horse on the the pond

/ Workin the Wheel Horse on the the pond #11  
I want a two stage blower!!Have you used a single stage blower?Just wonder how the two stage compares to my single.Haven't heard of a c-180 though.

The C-180 was a typo, I corrected it...thanks!

I have used a single stage, in fact it is what I am using this year on a 416H. Here is my assessment between the Wheel Horse single thrower vs 2 stage blower:

44" Two Stage

Pros:
Works great in any amount of snow
Throws 15-30 feet depending on water content
Great clearing path! 44" keeps the wheels out of the snow and backing up is easy.
Takes "bites" out of large snow banks easily

Cons:
Very, very heavy in the neighborhood of 360 pounds
Requires more room to store
Takes longer to mount
Requires more rear ballast due to offset the blowers significantly greater front end weight or you will get stuck if you have hills (a lot!)

42" single Stage

Pros:
Weighs a lot less and less room required for storage
Tall chute throws as well as two stage from my experience 15-30 feet again depending on the water content in the snow.
Very quick attaching and taking off
Less weight is transferred off the rear wheels in the "up" position, results in more traction to the rear wheels in the up position.

Cons:
Does not work well in small amounts of snow, and you have to modulate your speed more to keep the thrower full to maximize throwing distance.
With shoes adjusted up 1/2 inch for gravel drive, it seems to throw some snow under the blower therefore not cleaning up nearly as well. Not sure if this is normal.
When blowing more solid snow, the wings can pull the tractor into toward the snow bank. This will happen on heavy or frozen snow due to the angle of the wings.

That's been my experience.

Your 520 would match up to the 2 stage very well :)

/ Workin the Wheel Horse on the the pond
60 wh.jpgsweeper.jpgsweeper3.jpgsweeper neat.jpg60 wh.jpgsweeper.jpgsweeper3.jpgsweeper neat.jpgWell I sure appreciate your comparisons of the two blowers.And now I can cross the two stage of my bucket list.lol,I have had my blower since the early 80's and it has served me well.I don't think I would be gaining much by getting the two stage.Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 60 in.deck for my 520.I have a Well's band saw on Craigslist and the guy wants to trade.We'll see.By the looks of the picture he sent it looks to have been well used and put away wet.But didn't see any bad rust on it.I'm sending some pics of my sweeper and 520 you might be interested in.Thanks Ken ps sorry about the double pics

/ Workin the Wheel Horse on the the pond #13  
Wow cool sweeper. I have never seen a Jacobson sweeper like that. I bet it cleans up the yard very nicely!

If your single stage the "tall chute" thrower? They throw significantly better than the earlier short chute's.

those 60" decks sure are monsters. Do you have the steering reduction set up on the 520? I bought a full steering set up to throw on my loader tractor but haven't gotten to it yet. Wondering if you have that set up or the standard steering. I hear some who like it and some who think it requires too much turning of the steering wheel.

I'm not sure about the steering reduction.It has the swept forward axle so I can put the 60 in. deck on it.Yes the blower has the short chute.I don't think they had a tall when when I got mine back in the 80's.

/ Workin the Wheel Horse on the the pond #15  
I'm not sure about the steering reduction.It has the swept forward axle so I can put the 60 in. deck on it.Yes the blower has the short chute.I don't think they had a tall when when I got mine back in the 80's.

I've seen some of the short chute videos on youtube (I love snow removal videos for some reason) and those little throwers do a great job. Just not quite as far.

Here is a link to a video I did with the current set up I use.
416h - snow cab - tall chute single stage blower. Works great.
Wheelhorse 416-H throwing snow - YouTube

Yep i have the short chute.Thanks for the video.Looks like you've got it made for snow removal.

/ Workin the Wheel Horse on the the pond #17  
I'm jealous ; that looks like it would be fun skating!

Brings back memories of TBN yesteryears when member VON posted about his backyard skating rink. He eventually got his own Zamboni for a few years! Lot of variety on TBN, but VON is the only one I remember having a Zamboni.

Wow that would be great! lol.I had the grandkids over Sunday and we skated for awhile.(dang no pictures)Temp got up to 38 and got some slush on the pond.Got the wheel horse out and moved the slush and skated for another hour.Started to get some big cracks though with the heavy horse on it.

/ Workin the Wheel Horse on the the pond #19  
I love my 518 with the two stage blower,...hard to believe they don't make anything like them any longer. I would love to get one for my BX23, but everything I have looked at looks like cheap tin for a small fortune. I found a good WH parts dealer in ohio if ya'll need a link. Very reasonable and parts at the doorstep are always welcome.

Thanks for the info.I too have a good WH dealer in Saginaw.Not the cheapest but has a good parts selection.Otherwise I use Craigslist,ebay with good results.I try to buy a non running complete tractor when I can so I have parts in the back yard.