Working My Way There

/ Working My Way There #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
I've often said, "If I didn't want to stay married I'd move to the ranch." Our place has no structure on it. Never did. Just an old Tulsa Airplane Company Tandem Spartanette IIRC and it's been gone for years. When we head out to work on clearing red cedar and improving the place for deer habitat, we're time and energy limited.

Well, I'm working on a compromise. In April, we're having a 30 x 40 Mueller steel building installed. It'll allow me to get all the ranch-related hardware stored out there and still have room to "camp" out of over the weekends. I'll keep it quite "spartan" to avoid having the place taxed as a dwelling but have the slab poured with plumbing in case we later pull the trigger.

We chose the site because it's easily accessible but still has the potential for a fairly commanding view. Most of the trees have been taken down with a chainsaw but I'll come back and shear the stump flush and we're bringing in sand to level the site before pouring the slab.

20140125_150836.jpg

Last edited:
   / Working My Way There #2  
Isn't it amazing how much work we create for ourselves when we move to the country. Good luck, and enjoy.

/ Working My Way There #3  
Dan, that scrub brush and small oaks can be a real chore to clear, but it looks like you have a plan. Do you have any ponds or water on your acreage? Water really helps to draw in the wildlife.

/ Working My Way There
Making work...this is the one thing I excel at above all. For instance, I've already started planning a pizza oven.

I have a place where a pond should be after the drought ends and I kill more red cedar.

Last edited:
   / Working My Way There #6  
Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

/ Working My Way There
I put a down the the shop. Dark green roof with taupe walls.

20140129_160141.jpg

/ Working My Way There
It's been to cold too get anything done out there but I did call the county clerk and confirmed "at this time, Major county does not require permits on any activity outside of incorporated areas." It sounded as if she'd said it many a time.

/ Working My Way There #9  
In April, we're having a 30 x 40 Mueller steel building installed. It'll allow me to get all the ranch-related hardware stored out there and still have room to "camp" out of over the weekends.

Don't know what it's like in your area but around here any isolated rural building containing equipment will be burglarized. Give security some consideration in your building plans.

/ Working My Way There #10  
Dark green roof with taupe walls.

It oughta look real fine 'cause that's the same colors we picked. Used dark green on the East side to warm it in winter, light tan elsewhere. Dark green roof trim & soffits. But the actual roof bright white (and 12' tall walls) for cooler summers.

Bob