Workmaster 60 dies in neutral

/ Workmaster 60 dies in neutral #1  

OFarrell

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 60
I'm have a weird problem with my Workmaster 60. The engine dies when the clutch is released and the range selector is in neutral. I can start it in neutral and it will run with the clutch depressed but if I don't shift to lo or hi in about three seconds the tractor shuts off. If I hold the clutch down it will continue run in hi, lo or neutral. I have replaced the range switch and clutch switch. Any suggestions before I tow it to the dealer.

/ Workmaster 60 dies in neutral #2  
I don't know the WSM's from New Holland, but does it have a seat switch?

/ Workmaster 60 dies in neutral
I don't know the WSM's from New Holland, but does it have a seat switch?
Yes it does have a seat switch. The switch works though. If a range is selected and I get off of it, the engine dies.

/ Workmaster 60 dies in neutral #4  
So as your weight shifts, the switch reacts to the range position. I am thinking that as you change your body posture by releasing the clutch, it doesn't have enough weight on the switch and shuts the engine off. Just like when you leave the seat. Just spitballing, but those switches are a real nuisance.

So as your weight shifts, the switch reacts to the range position. I am thinking that as you change your body posture by releasing the clutch, it doesn't have enough weight on the switch and shuts the engine off. Just like when you leave the seat. Just spitballing, but those switches are a real nuisance.
I hear what you are saying and the seat works when the tractor is in gear(engine shuts off when inget up) but it's dying when the shifter is in neutral. The seat switch position shouldn't matter in neutral. You should be able to leave the seat with the engine running when the range is in neutral. That's how it's worked the last 500 hours. I'll unhook it and override it just to be sure.

/ Workmaster 60 dies in neutral #6  
I hear what you are saying and the seat works when the tractor is in gear(engine shuts off when inget up) but it's dying when the shifter is in neutral. The seat switch position shouldn't matter in neutral. You should be able to leave the seat with the engine running when the range is in neutral. That's how it's worked the last 500 hours. I'll unhook it and override it just to be sure.
Gotcha. Just trying to understand all situations.

Gotcha. Just trying to understand all situations.
I got my hands on a shop manual. The trouble shooting page leads me to three things, range switch (I know this is good), safety module, and 3A diode. I can't find anything else in the manual that shows where the 3A diode is or what the safety module consists of.

/ Workmaster 60 dies in neutral #8  
According to the parts diagram, the diode is in the electrical panel probably under the dash cowl. 17 is a relay layout and shows a Safety Run relay that might be the safety module. 18 is the 3A diode. Might be that shape, but not what I would expect.

Attachments

• WSM60.jpg
    WSM60.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 84
According to the parts diagram, the diode is in the electrical panel probably under the dash cowl. 17 is a relay layout and shows a Safety Run relay that might be the safety module. 18 is the 3A diode. Might be that shape, but not what I would expect.
Thank you sir. The relay in the safety circuit or module was bad. Popped a new one in and back in business. Back to loading logs on the sawmill.