Front-End Loader Worst things to do to a FEL

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #81  
Yep. Making the drawbar available is one of the best reasons for using a dedicated weight box on the 3pt instead of depending on a bulky implement. One of these days I might even get around to building one.

I have a concrete weight, but it isnt big enough. It is roughly ~500lbs. That with loaded tires the loader can still overcome the weight.

I would need closer to 1300 or so lbs to do what my blade (700+lbs) or my 6' cutter(1000+lbs) can do for ballast since those two place the weight much farther back.

Plus I like changing implements as little as possible. So When I dig out a stump, I like already having the blade on so I dont have to change back out when I go to backfill and grade over the area.

Call me lazy if ya want, I call it making the best use of my time. And I know the risks, and like I said, if something breaks, I've go no one to blame but myself. I will fix it and life goes on.

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #82  
Ya, my new snow plow has trip springs also. A whole heck of alot of people here have them, and i have not heard of any bent arm problems from anyone. They all love them for 6-8" days (our usual daily snow fall).
grsthegreat >> What brand / model snow blade is that? I'm looking for one and so far have found Land Pride, Curtis, and Meyer.

-Jeff

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #83  
Originally Posted by grsthegreat
Ya, my new snow plow has trip springs also. A whole heck of alot of people here have them, and i have not heard of any bent arm problems from anyone. They all love them for 6-8" days (our usual daily snow fall).

Neither have I...although folks have posted about racked loader frames, most don't notice it until after whatever incident caused it. But none that I can recall attributed defintely to using a QA plow.

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #84  
Neither have I...although folks have posted about racked loader frames, most don't notice it until after whatever incident caused it. But none that I can recall attributed defintely to using a QA plow.

I believe there was one discussion here a few months ago that was pretty clearly related to plowing. Someone as I recall was helping a friend in a big parking lot or something like that and hit either a curb or manhole with an edge. Came to a hard stop and the loader was twisted out of true. Certainly it is not hard to imagine it could happen.

I imagine that most CUT owners are using plows for their own driveways and as they know the area these sorts of accidents are rare. Commercial plowing would be a different matter.

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #85  
   / Worst things to do to a FEL #86  
I believe there was one discussion here a few months ago that was pretty clearly related to plowing. Someone as I recall was helping a friend in a big parking lot or something like that and hit either a curb or manhole with an edge. Came to a hard stop and the loader was twisted out of true. Certainly it is not hard to imagine it could happen.

I imagine that most CUT owners are using plows for their own driveways and as they know the area these sorts of accidents are rare. Commercial plowing would be a different matter.

I think I remember that he was using his bucket (no plow) and hinted that he was moving quite rapidly! OUCH!

That would definitely make the list of worst things to do... Even a non-trip spring blade might bend or flex, but the loader bucket probably won't. Obviously, trip springs would be far better.

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #87  
Cruisin said:
I think I remember that he was using his bucket (no plow) and hinted that he was moving quite rapidly! OUCH!

That would definitely make the list of worst things to do... Even a non-trip spring blade might bend or flex, but the loader bucket probably won't. Obviously, trip springs would be far better.

You are right, I think it was a bucket but the physics would presumably be pretty close.

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #88  
Glad to know this , I thought I might be the only person that buried a shovel
under 3 loads of dirt. <Grin>

Took me several hours to clean out my chainsaw from a load of dirt! :laughing:

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #89  
Probaly the worst would be to pay good money for a FEL and not use it.:thumbsup:

/ Worst things to do to a FEL #90  
Took me several hours to clean out my chainsaw from a load of dirt! :laughing:

I have seen on the job where they couldn't find a Cutoff Saw they had used earlier that day. Road work they figured someone stole it. Truck driver comes back from the dump site after dumping his next load and saw it in his last load! It got "forgot" in the bucket! :laughing: