WOT on diesel tractors

/ WOT on diesel tractors #111  
Some here claim WOT or nothing. So prove it by concrete evidence from written statements from the various manufacturers you insist require WOT at all times. Otherwise do what you want with YOUR tractor and the rest of us will do what we see as conscientious with ours.

Yeah I think I better keep my equipment parked till I see some evidence on the best way to operate it. From the progress resolving this issue on this thread I may need to hook up some trickle chargers and winterize my machines. On second thought I think I will do what I dam well please with my equipment and hope others will do the same.

/ WOT on diesel tractors #112  
Yeah I think I better keep my equipment parked till I see some evidence on the best way to operate it. From the progress resolving this issue on this thread I may need to hook up some trickle chargers and winterize my machines. On second thought I think I will do what I dam well please with my equipment and hope others will do the same.

Amen to that! :laughing:

/ WOT on diesel tractors #113  
For a fixed displacement gear pump, if you want to slow the action of the implement you can either run high RPM and throttle flow with the control valve or reduce RPM and open the valve more. The first option will dissipate MUCH more heat into the hydraulic system than the second. When I need fast I run WOT, when I need slower I run at reduced throttle. On my excavator this allows me to work the machine longer before the hydraulics get really hot (too hot to touch for more than a couple seconds) when I'm doing anything other than bailing dirt at full speed.

/ WOT on diesel tractors #114  
I think someone mixed up and was reading their Home Depot bargain lawnmower manual by mistake. No throttle, just start it and go.

/ WOT on diesel tractors #115  
and why would they put ePTO's on them...a mode where the engine is actually limited to 1750 RPM (on a 4x20).

They must want it to wear out faster, so you have to give them a pile of green, for some new Greene! It's a conspiracy, I KNEW it! :laughing:

/ WOT on diesel tractors #116  

:thumbsup:

/ WOT on diesel tractors #117  
I think someone mixed up and was reading their Home Depot bargain lawnmower manual by mistake. No throttle, just start it and go.

I find these to be very irritating my Miller Trailblazer welder, Ingersol two stage compressor, Deere push mower all start up wot. Pisses me off when I need to use them in the wintertime. How much would it have costed them to have a throttle on these machines? The welder and compressor will idle down after warm up but to start cold and run 3600 to 3700 rpm right out the gate seems you are asking for trouble.

/ WOT on diesel tractors #118  
I find these to be very irritating my Miller Trailblazer welder, Ingersol two stage compressor, Deere push mower all start up wot. Pisses me off when I need to use them in the wintertime. How much would it have costed them to have a throttle on these machines? The welder and compressor will idle down after warm up but to start cold and run 3600 to 3700 rpm right out the gate seems you are asking for trouble.

As long as it has lubrication, doesn't matter much.
The trouble starts when cold engines are loaded and combustion chamber pressure is at peak before the castings have expanded to normal operating dimensions.
That is why standby diesel generators either do or should run coolant heaters 24/7 all year round. It's more to reduce the chances of a blown head gasket then for easy starting.

/ WOT on diesel tractors #119  
John Deere at some time during my career at a JD dealership advertised their engines as ""variable speed engines""" capable of being operated between 1500 & 2400 rpm's. If load was light slow rpm's & shift up in gears,if heavy load near full rpm's.

/ WOT on diesel tractors #120  
I have a 4310 and my understanding is that the engine is adapted from one designed to run a stationary power unit which was meant to run at 3600 rpm.

Diesels run best when run at or near rated speed and fuel usage is mostly determined by the power the engine is generating to carry the load put on it.

My engine is rated at 32 hp under full load but under less than full load the hp produced is equal to the demand regardless of speed.

My engine is rated at about 1 gal an hour at rated power so when the load is less the fuel consumption is less.

I run mine slower only when the implement i'm using demands a lower pto speed or lower hydraulic flow.

most Diesel engines are not like gas engines and should be operated at or near rated speed.