Tires Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #11  
Flatheadyoungin said:
Maybe we were right in our thinking...

I wasn't sure how much they actually fill your tires. If like Jinman said- bottom of the rim- then it would help. If, they fill them more towards the top, then on a steep grade it would actually hurt your center of gravity.......
They never hurt your CG, however filled rears, even tho lowering CG, do shift it backward. Assuming forward gear, this increases safety going down, but subtracts from it going up. Fortunately there is a margin of safety that you get to play within. You will need filled tires with the loader. The tractor is front heavy and rear light because of its overhang beyond the front axle. The tractor will be very dangerous on slopes and anywhere doing loader work unless weight is added at the rear. An implement behind the rear axle will be needed usually as well.
Jinman meant fill above the top side of the rim.
larry

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #12  
SPYDERLK said:
You will need filled tires with the loader. The tractor is front heavy and rear light because of its overhang beyond the front axle. The tractor will be very dangerous on slopes and anywhere doing loader work unless weight is added at the rear.top side of the rim.
larry

I bought my TC40 with 210lb of wheel weights on each side rear and the first day home with it I moved a load of gravel. As Spyderlk said the tractor was pretty much useless even with the 400 lbs of weight. Even with a little snow on the ground it would barely go through our fields in 2WD; now I have added 400lb of liquid weight in each rear tire. The tractor is very well balanced now and handles the weight excellently. Still for heavy loader work an implement on the back is needed for additional weight.

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #13  
SPYDERLK said:
Jinman meant fill above the top side of the rim.

Thanks Larry, that's exactly what I meant.:)

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #14  
Fluid in tires is always, always good for traction & keeping a tractor with the right side down on the ground. There is no negative to this. It's very simple, don't try to think too much.

I farm for a living, the most afraid I was ever on the seat of a tractor was when I got my NH 1720 a few years ago, with loader & no weight on it. Truely frightening. I do _not_ know how you folks run compact tractors without weight in or on the wheels. I called the coop that afternoon, got the rears filled, made a good working tractor out of the thing.

I have hills, and I am used to an old narrow-front tractor with a loader on it.

These compact tractors are something else, with the short wheelbases, they need _weight_ on them.

Used the loader, it picked the rear end up. Pulled a bigger wagon down a hill, the wagon pushed me to the bottom - rear end so light it just slipped on the ground. Driving on a side hill sideraking, it is so light it wants to tip.

Fluid in the rear tires made it a safer, useable tractor here on the farm.

I don't understand how they can sell them without weight on the rear.

Don't overthink this. Fluid in the tires will help you. It lowers the center of gravity; it sticks the rear end onto the ground harder. It is good.

--->Paul

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #15  
rambler said:
Fluid in the rear tires made it a safer, useable tractor here on the farm.

I don't understand how they can sell them without weight on the rear.

Don't overthink this. Fluid in the tires will help you. It lowers the center of gravity; it sticks the rear end onto the ground harder. It is good.

--->Paul

My dealer who been business since 1950 won't sell a loader unless he loads the tires. If you insist, he'll do it but he has a form to sign that absolves him of any liability.

Andy

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #16  
AndyMA said:
My dealer who been business since 1950 won't sell a loader unless he loads the tires. If you insist, he'll do it but he has a form to sign that absolves him of any liability.

Andy

My dealer asked me two or three times if I was sure I didn't want loaded tires. He didn't make me sign anything, but he was sure persistent. Silly me. . . I didn't load the tires because that would have put my tractor over the limit for my trailer. After having the rear of the tractor waving in the breeze more times than I care to admit, I finally loaded the tires. What a difference. I can't tow it with that trailer, but I'll live to tell about it. I agree with Paul. You don't want to overthink it, just do it. Spend your time making sure you have good brakes if you are working a loader on hills. Good brakes and filled tires can save you, plus, FWD and HST are additional plusses on hillsides. After all that, if a hillside is so muddy you slide down it, you should wait until another day.

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #17  
jinman said:
My dealer asked me two or three times if I was sure I didn't want loaded tires. He didn't make me sign anything, but he was sure persistent. Silly me. . . I didn't load the tires because that would have put my tractor over the limit for my trailer. After having the rear of the tractor waving in the breeze more times than I care to admit, I finally loaded the tires. What a difference. I can't tow it with that trailer, but I'll live to tell about it. I agree with Paul. You don't want to overthink it, just do it. Spend your time making sure you have good brakes if you are working a loader on hills. Good brakes and filled tires can save you, plus, FWD and HST are additional plusses on hillsides. After all that, if a hillside is so muddy you slide down it, you should wait until another day.
You are in the right place to be filling your tires with water. That way anyplace is a drain spot and any spigot is a refill. Your trailer can take it to the spigot.
larry

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill
My 45 came with loaded tires from the fellar I bought it from.

The two buddy's, one with a TC35 hyrdro and the other shuttle, don't have loaded tires- and they cut MUCH steeper hills than I do. The land I'm looking at, hardly has any hills, really. Except for down in the woods there is a ravine.

/ Would loaded rear tires hurt/help you going down a steep hill #19  
I've seen some of the hills people farm in southeastern Ohio, and it's kind of scary. There are also a lot of good people looking at the fields from the bottom up instead of the top down because of tractor rollovers down in that area.

If you're on a hill so steep that the slight shift of the fill in the rears is enough to destabilize the tractor, you don't belong there in the first place. From my cowardly but still alive perspective, anything steeper than about 30 degrees is not going to see my tractor on it. A front wheel plus an unseen groundhog hole on a steep downhill or crosshill run could equal a very sorry operator.