Would you buy this Grasshopper 721.

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
It’s for sale for $300. I’m thinking about picking it up tomorrow. It’s a Kubota liquid cooled GAS motor. It doesn’t currently run and obviously needs some TLC. The seller claims he got it in a trade and knows nothing about its condition. He claims it will hit when spraying gas in the carb but won’t run on its own. I’m thinking a carb cleanout or rebuild or maybe fuel pump would fix that. I’m hoping that after that 2 front tires, a seat, and a battery would put it back into service. Completely worst case I’m out $300 and a hundred mile one way trip but I figure the engine is worth an easy $300. But the odds are against me. I already bought a 428 diesel Grasshopper that turned out fully operational for $500. IMG_1200.JPG

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721. #2  
Looks like it you might find $300 of parts for your other one if it doesn't work out.

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721. #3  
I wouldn't. My age and mechanical skills limit buying project units. You are good mechanically and the parts alone are worth more than what you are paying. 100 miles is a small distance. Go for it and keep us updated. Grasshopper makes really good units.

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721. #4  
The hydros can get into money in a hurry and not much way to tell with it not running. Those front mount mowers are loved by everybody that has one. Grasshopper is a premium brand and they get premium prices for parts. $300 is not much of a gamble if you are willing to invest time and a good bit of money on the back end.

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721.
I’m not going the spend a pile of money on the project. If the hydraulics are bad it would be hope the motor is good and part it out. My work fear is the hydraulic are bad and that’s why they parked it years ago. Anyway I think I’ll take the gamble.

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721. #6  
I had a Steiner with that gas kubota motor. What a sweet running motor! I wouldn't give a cent for some other gasser, but would jump at that.

Well it’s a bust. I’d drove 95 miles of the 100 mile trip and the askhole sold it.

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721. #8  
Sorry! We have a clasified on-line selling thing here called kijiji. I think E-Bay may own it. Anyway, it's become a term when you get screwed, you say you've been Kijijied!

I guess I’ve really been pretty lucky. I buy and sell hundreds of used items a year more for entertainment than anything else. I’ve paid too much a time or two, and I’ve pretty much sworn off buying 2 stroke equipment, but this is the first time I’ve had something like this happen. I guess it’s all part of it and I didn’t have anything better to do so I really only lost the gas money.

/ Would you buy this Grasshopper 721. #10  
Well it’s a bust. I’d drove 95 miles of the 100 mile trip and the askhole sold it.

Well then, I'll have to say "No I wouldn't buy it". ;)