Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE??

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #11  
The one in the photo you show is a Ford model and I paid--get ready--$15 for one maybe six years ago. It is a solid toolbar so it now has a greater scrap value but I cut the bar down to --I think-- six feet and use it to clamp my one row corn planter to. It could be a good cultivator frame but those shanks float a lot with the ground so are only "good" and not "great" . It works good with a planter because there is room in the hitch arrangement to clamp the planter in. Here's a photo of it---at the bottom of this post--- set up with discs to use as a hiller.

Again, I know virtually nothing of cultivators, but I must admit this thing looks cumbersome and very busy. I used to seeing the smaller 6-8 foot cultivators the old timers around here used for truck patches back in the 60's and 70's. I guess the question I should have been asking is:

What do you consider to be the best most user friendly cultivator for food plots. I have noticed that some have spring shanks, plow shares, etc. What do you consider the absolute best for user friendly, handy, good job, etc. I will be planting beans, corn, sunflowers, peas, millet etc. thanks also, pics would be great if possible.

This one is about 30 minutes from me, but current owner wants $650 for it. It looks less complicated, but I don't know enough about them to make proper decision. What do you guys think about this one?

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
   / Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #12  
I'd also go get it and make a fun trip out of it. Maybe look up CL and come back with other bargains from other areas. Just a thought.

Boone

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #14  
Id get it for that ... I live in central Alabama and drove to Cave city Kentucky for a 14' deere cultivator I won on Ebay for $100.
Got it back and cut it down to about 10 ft after moving all the arms in closer. We got it for hunting club food plots not knowing if it would work or not.
it does fairly well if not in rocky soil. we bush hog and then a week or two later come thru with the cultivator and it will pull up the clumps of grass and weeds by the root ball. Drag em to the end of the field , lift it and they fall in place.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #15  
I have been looking locally for a cultivator for my summer food plots. I contacted a farmer friend of mine in KS for advice. Im in TX. He said he had a "like new" Glencoe with manual he would GIVE me if I came to pick it up. I know practically nothing about cultivators. What is your opinion of this brand and model, and would you drive 6 hours one way for this one if it was FREE? thanks
The very reason he would give a almost new cultivator away for free sounds to me the thing didn't work very well for him.

A rototiller behind a garden tractor works just as good to get a seed bed for food plots.

just saying

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #16  
A rototiller behind a garden tractor works just as good to get a seed bed for food plots.

just saying

Just depends on the soil he is wanting to use it in... A rototiller here is worthless for food plots. It wouldn't last 2 seasons in this reclaimed mining land with rocks from softball to basketball size in most fields.
Cultivator just brings them up, tiller beats itself to death.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #17  
If time is not a factor the cost should not be more than $150 for fetching.

We drove seven hours one way and paid $1400 for our DR mower with both brush and grass mowing decks that had not seen a lot of use. Heck they are such a work out few get worn out. We drove about four hours one way to pick up the Swisher ZTM and about five hours to pick up the golf cart.

In our case we just make a field trip out of it. picking up the DR we worked in Stone Mountain and the kids got to play in the first day every of snow from the machines. We got back to Chattanooga the second evening out and did the aquarium and Lookout Mountain and beat a big snow home by about four hours. This one time I will spare you the details of the other trips mentioned. :D

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #18  
When faced with a "deal" I always take into account what my time is worth. For me....I would assign the "free" implement a cost of $1,400.00 dollars. Everyone's different as to how they value their time. Another option is to put it on Uship and get competitive bids to have someone bring it to you.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #19  
As it was eluded to earlier what do you expect out of this row crop cultivator? It's main function is to remove weeds from between planted rows. The sweeps are designed to run in ground previously worked with the yellow metal wheels let down to keep from burying your rows. If this is what you need then yes, get it. If you are wanting it for another purpose then one may need to rethink or look for different options. Using as it was designed they are great, but they just are not needed much anymore because it is cheaper and takes less time to control weeds with herbicides.

/ Would you drive 6 hours one way for this cultivator FREE?? #20  
Just depends on the soil he is wanting to use it in... A rototiller here is worthless for food plots. It wouldn't last 2 seasons in this reclaimed mining land with rocks from softball to basketball size in most fields.
Cultivator just brings them up, tiller beats itself to death.
I would call that a gravel pit and not fit for a food plot.