Would you fix this mower?

/ Would you fix this mower? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Recently I purchased a used mower; a Toro 3500 with 2500 hours on it. This is a hydraulically driven machine with a single piston pump driving three wheel motors. There is a second gear pump that drives three gear deck motors. Well, it turns out at some point a pump failed and it damaged a bunch of other components. The seller is going to cancel the sale and refund my money so I can walk away having lost $300 on shipping. That said, I still need a mower and this one is on my short list. Other mowers are currently selling for around $9,000 and I have a bit under $5k in this one. At this time it appears the unit needs a total rebuild of the hydraulics: (1) piston pump, (1) gear pump, (3) gear deck motors and (3) drive motors. I figure the piston pump and drive motors are rebuildable and the gear motors and pump will need to be replaced because they have aluminum housings. All told, I think the parts will be just under $5k. If I donated my time over winter I could have a pretty new mower come spring. Now this thing still needs other repairs: The fiberglass hood is cracked behind the seat, at least one deck needs some pretty significant metal work and it's due for tires. That said, the engine is the one solid component. If I offered the seller $1,000 for the mower he won't have to pay for return shipping, drive 2 hours one way to pick it up and then pay his mechanic to fix it. But is it worth the grand?

/ Would you fix this mower? #2  
I wouldn't but I know very little about rebuilding hydraulic components. You know your abilities and interests.

/ Would you fix this mower? #3  
I would walk. I have done some work on Bobcats and every little thing is going to cost and $$$$$$ add up. If you are looking for a hobby and want to rebuild this mower do it but if you are looking for a mower to save money with, walk. Ed

/ Would you fix this mower?
Yea, that's the direction I'm going to take it. I have a chance to get out without having lost a lot of money so now's the chance to escape.

/ Would you fix this mower? #5  
I am not familiar with the mower but do your research.

From what you say, it needs 5k in hydraulic parts and 1k in other stuff. IF you pay a grand for it thats $7,000 for a mower with ALL NEW hydraulics and you say similar mowers are selling for $9k.......

Sounds like a decent deal to me? You have to decide if your time over the winter is worth saving $2k and having all new hydraulics vs a $9k mower...

/ Would you fix this mower? #6  
If the piston pump failed that is driving the three wheel motors all of the components are probably damaged. Depending on make and model of the components you might be able to find rebuild kits or have them rebuilt Vs purchasing new.

Not sure if Toro uses Eaton products on that unit or not.