Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E)

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #1  

iamgroot

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 50E, Cat 22
Hello to all. First post and hope I'm in the right place.

I own a steep piece of property with a 1/2 mile + long road that is in REALLY bad shape. I finally bought a tractor, two days ago, a Massey Ferguson 50E Power Shuttle with a Gannon box. It has a little less than 4,000 hours on the meter. The guy I bought it from said it has no known problems. I know nothing about tractors, but I am an auto mechanic by trade so I guess you could say I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I did order an operator's manual, but it won't be here for a few days. Last night after work was my first attempt at grading my road, and I must say it went pretty well, I'm very happy considering I've driven a tractor with a box scraper before. However, I'm very nervous about using the tractor for several reasons. One is I don't trust the gauges. Funky green and red electrical things that I have no idea if they actually work. The last thing I want to do is over-heat this thing. I want to change them over to mechanical gauges that read in real numbers. I'm guessing this won't be too hard???

My other concern is the hydraulic fluid for the rear of the tractor. For the FEL the filler is on the right side frame, it is easy to check and it is full. But where do you check the fluid for the transmission, rear axle, and TPH? I'm concerned because there are times when the power steering stops working. It has always been when going up hill. It feels like it may be starving for fluid. So I don't want to drive it until I check this, but it is VERY difficult not to because it is so much fun!

My last question (for now) is, is there engine braking when going down hill? Because my tractor requires me to use the brakes to the point where my skinny left leg almost gave out. I ended up putting both feet on the brake pedals. I suppose I could have used the front bucket for an emergency brake, but this doesn't seem right. What is wrong?

I have about a thousand more questions but I'll try to contain myself for now.

Thank you very, very much for any help!

-groot

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #2  
Hi. First port of call for you should be the 'Search' box (top Right of this page).

Sorry I can't help you more.

:wrench:

Last edited:
   / Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #3  
Since you are an auto mechanic, but not a diesel mechanic, you may not realize the critical difference in descending grades. An auto engine has a throttle plate which closes when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Now the engine is struggling to suck in air and this provides the braking action.
On a diesel, there is no throttle plate and air flows through the engine without restriction so engine braking is minimal.

On large 18 wheel diesels, they utilize a special engine brake called a JAKE brake. It turns the diesel engine into a big air compressor. By controlling the intake and exhaust valves, the engine compresses the air in the cylinder but just before this compressed air can push the piston back down its stroke, the compressed air is released.

This compression and then release of compressed air sucks up a lot of the downhill energy
These engine brakes sound like an elephant blowing its nose and are often banned in built up areas.

The brake pedals should have a provision for locking the two pedals together for safety reasons if any sort of speed in involved. Individual wheel braking is for slow speed maneuvering.

I don't know your specific tractor and will leave the advice on hydraulic and steering fluids to come from others.

Remember tractors can flip over backwards or roll over sideways so fast it is unbelievable.

This link will help you become better informed.

Tractor Stability and Instability — Agricultural Safety and Health — Penn State Extension

Dave M7040

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E)
OK, well it's a 50E and not a MF30, and as I understand it, it has hydrostatic steering, so no belt driven p/s pump. Am I wrong?

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E)
Since you are an auto mechanic, but not a diesel mechanic, you may not realize the critical difference in descending grades. An auto engine has a throttle plate which closes when you take your foot off the gas pedal. Now the engine is struggling to suck in air and this provides the braking action.
On a diesel, there is no throttle plate and air flows through the engine without restriction so engine braking is minimal.

On large 18 wheel diesels, they utilize a special engine brake called a JAKE brake. It turns the diesel engine into a big air compressor. By controlling the intake and exhaust valves, the engine compresses the air in the cylinder but just before this compressed air can push the piston back down its stroke, the compressed air is released.

Dave M7040

Hmm... interesting. So, if I'm in my car, in 1st gear, with the engine shut off, and I push the throttle pedal to WOT coasting down a steep hill, you don't think I'd have any engine braking??? :)

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #6  
Dave's explanation is a good one to assist you and took him some personal time to write. I guess you don't need too much more help with understanding your MF. Best regards.

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #7  
Hmm... interesting. So, if I'm in my car, in 1st gear, with the engine shut off, and I push the throttle pedal to WOT coasting down a steep hill, you don't think I'd have any engine braking??? :)
Welcome to the forum!!
The amount of compression that builds up during the compression stroke is what you will have on your WOT automobile....
Dave is correct in what he is saying, but there is a little bit of slowing down in a diesel, but not so much that it is going to make a difference to you on a long down hill driveway.
Make sure the brakes are good, keep the tractor in a gear slower than you really want to go, and if you start picking up speed, then yes the rear boxblade and the front end loader are your best friends!
David from jax

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #8  
I just looked up the spec's on the MF 50E and it is not a little subcompact like I had envisioned, lol.
That thing falls right in between my Kubota M7040 and my JD 2555 as far as size and also weight.
I bet that thing will move a Gannon box (blade) right on down the road. My JD2555 will move a seriously heavy rear grader blade and be full of dirt and still keep on moving!
David from jax

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #9  
Going downhill is inherently dangerous. As Dave told you, there is no compression being used to slow the engine and the rear wheels will drive the engine.

2nd. There are no brakes on the front axle. As the rear is unweighted, the brake traction gets even less in contact with ground.

For your experiment, try it. The car will go faster downhill with the throttle plate opened than not. The throttle plate closes off the air supply. So as the piston goes down a vacuum is created. When the piston rises, (compression) there is a vacuum in the cylinder so no pressure is created.

But you're a mechanic. Don't need me to tell you all that I'm sure.

/ Wow do I have a lot of questions (MF50E) #10  
My last question (for now) is, is there engine braking when going down hill? Because my tractor requires me to use the brakes to the point where my skinny left leg almost gave out. I ended up putting both feet on the brake pedals. I suppose I could have used the front bucket for an emergency brake, but this doesn't seem right. What is wrong?-groot
Hi Groot,
I'm new here too - but they seem a very friendly bunch. From what I've read of the 50E Power Shuttle, it has a 4 speed synchromesh transmission with the forward/reverse shuttle mechanism. Don't mean to be insulting, but are you sure it was pulled back into 1st gear before heading down hill? And also, the brakes could be knackered and need repair too...
Ian