WR Long 3rd Function Install

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #31  
To remove all high load current from the switch, yes you would need two in his scenario. Considering the fuse supplied by WR Long is 10A, it would have to be less. Likely 6 or 7A typical.

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #32  
To remove all high load current from the switch, yes you would need two in his scenario. Considering the fuse supplied by WR Long is 10A, it would have to be less. Likely 6 or 7A typical.

Went back and reread the wiring description for the WR Long. Yes, that would require two relays to remove the high amp draw from the supplied switch. That might be non-practical. Relays are very easy to wire into a system. I have no experience with said system so don't know the useful longevity of the switch provided?? I'll step back and say use what is supplied. If you have a premature switch failure issue, add relays. Sorry for the confusion. :(

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #33  
It's just a matter of balancing needs, requirements, cost, and reliability. In this case, the needs of the solenoids is not high enough that would require relays when used with a properly rated switch; and a properly rated switch doesn't exceed the cost of additional wiring and relays.

I would still use a relay if you want switched (key-on only) power. Prevent the load from being shared with another function over an existing circuit.

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #34  
It's just a matter of balancing needs, requirements, cost, and reliability. In this case, the needs of the solenoids is not high enough that would require relays when used with a properly rated switch; and a properly rated switch doesn't exceed the cost of additional wiring and relays.

I would still use a relay if you want switched (key-on only) power. Prevent the load from being shared with another function over an existing circuit.

My factory 3rd function is "key on" only. I just prefer that. :)

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #35  
I prefer the "worksite" method (at least what I was taught back when I operated equipment). Lower everything to the ground, set the parking brake, turn off any lights, shut the machine off, remove the key, work all the levers and switches to let off any pressure, then exit the operator station. Need power to the 3rd function switch for that scenario.

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #36  
I prefer the "worksite" method (at least what I was taught back when I operated equipment). Lower everything to the ground, set the parking brake, turn off any lights, shut the machine off, remove the key, work all the levers and switches to let off any pressure, then exit the operator station. Need power to the 3rd function switch for that scenario.

Yep, I park everything I operate like that. That same "OCD" mentality is what concerns me with walking away from a live circuit. :)

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #37  
It's no different than any other circuit. Power is routed to the device that controls it, whether that is a switch, relay, or a solenoid. As long as it is fused, any sort of "short" failure is protected.

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #38  
Just FYI, there are wire charts showing how much current a wire size can carry, The wire is ALWAYS supposed to be able to carry 15 - 20% more current than the fuse. That way, the fuse burns out and there is no wire damage whatsoever.

For reference, here is one: American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire breaking strength

For credibility, I am an electrical engineer currently training in an electrician program at a college in California.

Cheers.

/ WR Long 3rd Function Install #39  
Just FYI, there are wire charts showing how much current a wire size can carry, The wire is ALWAYS supposed to be able to carry 15 - 20% more current than the fuse. That way, the fuse burns out and there is no wire damage whatsoever.

For reference, here is one: American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire breaking strength

For credibility, I am an electrical engineer currently training in an electrician program at a college in California.

Cheers.

Then you would know the wire size isn't the issue. It's the amp load placed on the switch. Relays are used to handle that load with minimal load being placed on the switch circuit.