Grapple WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation
Originally posted by JRP:
I need the same kit. About how much did it cost? Ire you satisfied?
Bought the Valve kit thru (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) where I ordered the grapple.
The kit was shipped separately, directly from WR Long, Inc., after Nelson Long literally drove out to my home to check out my loader valve box (EverythingAttachments determined that the Mahindra ML111 loader has a unique implementation that would make it difficult to install the std. kit).

EverythingAttachments charged $775 for the kit (perhaps a little on the high side from what I read) but WR Long made no charge for the modifications, the quality of the kit looks great, both companies were extremely helpful and diligent. I certainly could not complain about the level of customer service. Definitely a returning customer!

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #12  
I have the WR Long valve as well and love it. I hate connecting the grapple. The pressure problem is definitely on the grapple side to the point where i have had to disconnect the hoses on the grapple cylinder to relieve the pressure. I have found that leaving the grapple in the open position has made the process a lot easier for some reason...

You will love the setup.

Dana

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #13  
My connection issue has been on the tractor side. When I first ran into it, I released the pressure in the grapple lines (assuming it had to be there), and it still wouldn't go together. The only time I was able to click it together easily was the very first time, before there was fluid in the system. Like I said, I keep a bar clamp handy to pull them together. It works, but it still takes some good effort.

I will try leaving it in the open position trick, along with a few others this year.

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #14  
I always connect the hoses on my grapple to each other when not in use. It keeps the pressure equal and the connections clean.

Matt

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #15  
Seems like there ought to be a way to lever the grapple one way or the other to take the pressure off, but I haven't found it yet.

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #16  
I did try connecting to couplers together once as that seemed like a logical way to store them and couldn't get them apart so I went back to the dust plugs. I seriously grudgingly remove the grapple as it take all of one minute to change from the bucket to the grapple but I have spent hours with the hydraulics...

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #17  
For the hyd attachment.

If you guys would simply install a tee and a small high pressure gate valve behind one of the QD's, you could relieve any pressure at any time. Just make sure it is closed when using the attachment. The cylinder should be in the relaxed state when storing.

Heat is the cause of most of the troubles connecting QD's.

The style of QD I use , makes it easier for me to connect, because the QD sleeve moves both ways. Made by Safeway.

Something like this.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7281-4&catname=hydraulic

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #18  
For the hyd attachment.

If you guys would simply install a tee and a small high pressure gate valve behind one of the QD's, you could relieve any pressure at any time. Just make sure it is closed when using the attachment. The cylinder should be in the relaxed state when storing.

Heat is the cause of most of the troubles connecting QD's.

The style of QD I use , makes it easier for me to connect, because the QD sleeve moves both ways. Made by Safeway.

Something like this.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7281-4&catname=hydraulic

relaxed = retracted, right? that's how I leave mine all the time. good idea on the valve, thanks JJ
edit, come to think of it, no matter where the cyl is, when it heats up it's gonna lock the qd's..

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #19  
With any hydraulic attachments before you disconnect them turn the tractor off (leave key on for items requiring power) and cycle the relevant hydraulic control in both directions, this will neutralize pressure and allow the implement to be disconnected easily, but more importantly will allow it to be re-connected easily. 3rd functions on loaders are classic for this type of pressure buildup, as when you don't have anything connected it not hard to accidentally nock the switch and build up pressure with out knowing it.
So if you ever have a tight fitting, switch off, relieve pressure and try again. If it still doesn't go then the fitting must be rusted shut!

/ WR Long 3rd Function kit - installation #20  
I appreciate the efforts to help with this issue that I am having (and Jake too, it seems), but for example, what Andrew described is exactly what I do. It does not help. I get the principle, and am applying it as best I can but it has not helped. JJ's suggestion has more potential as it opens a clear path to release pressure.

I haven't yet experimented much with other tricks for this, as I've only had the grapple off like 3 times total since I got it in Sept. It was a "grapple-intensive" fall for me... But I will need to pull it off pretty soon after I get it out of storage. Maybe this weekend, or next, weather depending.

Again, I believe that the valve is piloted and so does not move without some pressure. Leaving the grapple open so that it collapses when I activate the circuit with the engine off seems like my best chance, short of adding some relief like JJ said. Up to now I've left the grapple closed and then activated the valve with the engine off to release pressure.