Wrestling a forty year old brushhog!

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #11  
And the moral of the story is... Don't argue with your mother!!!

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #12  
I'm happy to see that you're back on your feet.

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #13  
That's why I keep my trusty can of Never-Seize at hand, when reassembling just about anything. That, and by trusty bottle of penetrate made of a 50/50/ mix of acetone, and ATF I got the recipe for, from Soundguy on this forum. Beats anything I've bought off the shelf, bar none.

What you have made is poor man's.... "Kroil"
It does work!

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #14  
Yes - but I don't have a 94 year old mother to give me advice. It's OK RSKY - you can admit that you finally took her advice and it came apart easily.:laughing: :dance1:

Yep, moral of the story is to listen to one's 94 year old mother . . . ;)

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #15  
   / Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #16  
That's a great story, RSKY, I read it to my wife this morning and we both got a lot of enjoyment out of it.
It sounds like your mother is quite spry for 94 years of age, my mother passed away just two weeks short of her 94th birthday, but dementia really took its toll on her the las ten years.
I have the same mower as you, a tough old thing on which some previous owner added a lot more angle iron to really make it indestructible.

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog!
That's a great story, RSKY, I read it to my wife this morning and we both got a lot of enjoyment out of it.
It sounds like your mother is quite spry for 94 years of age, my mother passed away just two weeks short of her 94th birthday, but dementia really took its toll on her the las ten years.
I have the same mower as you, a tough old thing on which some previous owner added a lot more angle iron to really make it indestructible.

Ours has been welded, bolted, chained, and yes tied together with hay bale string. One of the top tubes is braced with angle iron. But it is still going. The gearbox was leaking but every year I put three or four shots of grease in it and it hasn't leaked in several years. Mom kept me busy for years just putting it back together or doing things like flipping it over to cut barbed wire off the blades. But she quit mowing after she turned ninety.

RSKY

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #18  
Ours has been welded, bolted, chained, and yes tied together with hay bale string. One of the top tubes is braced with angle iron. But it is still going. The gearbox was leaking but every year I put three or four shots of grease in it and it hasn't leaked in several years. Mom kept me busy for years just putting it back together or doing things like flipping it over to cut barbed wire off the blades. But she quit mowing after she turned ninety.

RSKY

She sounds like an extraordinary woman. I admit to winding barbed wire around the blades once myself. Mine is a rough, wooded piece of ground, a few old broken down barbed wire fences hid down in the brush. It's kind of surprising when you are mowing, and suddenly see weathered old fence posts scuttling along through the weeds...and headed your way. Yes indeed, you disconnect, get the boom, flip the thing over, and spend quite a while with snips getting all that wire out of there.

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog!
She sounds like an extraordinary woman. I admit to winding barbed wire around the blades once myself. Mine is a rough, wooded piece of ground, a few old broken down barbed wire fences hid down in the brush. It's kind of surprising when you are mowing, and suddenly see weathered old fence posts scuttling along through the weeds...and headed your way. Yes indeed, you disconnect, get the boom, flip the thing over, and spend quite a while with snips getting all that wire out of there.

I once caught an extremely large piece of very thick plastic on the blades. I guess it was thirty or forty feet square and was folded up next to our tobacco barn. This was on the farm in the Clarks River Bottom which is a mile or two from nowhere. It was about noon, I was working midnights and had got off shift at eight in the morning and had to go back in about 11:00 that night. All I had was a pocket knife and a pair of Channel Lock pliers. I cut as much as I could off and drove that tractor six miles with plastic dragging behind it to get to my truck to go home. The plastic was dragging four or five feet on either side of the tractor as I drove down the road.

Talk about getting some funny looks from the people I met.

Took me most of the next day to cut it out.

The guy renting the barn asked me later if I had seen the plastic tarp that had been there. Then he started laughing. Guess he had heard about my trip down the road.

RSKY

/ Wrestling a forty year old brushhog! #20  
I got a piece of chicken wire wrapped around the driveshaft of my pickup once... that was enough of a pain to cut out. I can picture what a mess barbed wire can make of a bush hog at 540 rpms.