WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular....

/ WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular.... #11  
Thanks, some of them I have seen, but there were a lot of new to me ones! Thanks.

/ WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular.... #12  
Thanks for posting. I love WWll aircraft and these are some of the best photos that I have ever seen.

/ WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular.... #13  
Here is something you might find interesting. This is video with commentary, taken by a pilot who flew Corsairs and Panthers off the USS Hornet CV-12 and USS Philippine Sea. I got to meet Dale a couple times, when I took Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts to the USS Hornet museum for their overnight programs. It was awesome getting to walk around parts of the ship talking about what it was like being a pilot, even though the Hornet had changed substantially(Dale flew before angle deck conversions).

In the pictures from the OP's link, there were pictures of/from USS Hornet, and also the Doolittle raids(USS Hornet CV-8) that originated from USS Hornet CV-12. This video is post WWII, but includes F4U operating from carriers still in the basic configurations that would have been seen in WWII.

Carrier Operations 1953-54 - YouTube

Last edited:
   / WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular.... #14  
I have a picture in my mind that stays with me.

It was perhaps 1949, I was maybe 6 and playing in the yard in Austin, Texas. I heard a sound in the distance, strange buzzing, slowly, slowly growing closer, and louder, and closer, and louder. Then, I could see specks on the Eastern horizon growing slowly larger. I will never know how many planes there were, or exactly what kind, obviously WW II planes headed West. Seems that I recall twin tails and single tails with engines on both wings, thus likely transports and bombers. They stretched across the horizon from left to right and front to back, low, and seemed to me to take forever to pass overhead. They were in formations and spaced apart just as you see them in photos today. I tried to count them...must have been several hundred. They just crawled slowly across the sky. It was truly, to be overly dramatic, an awesome sight as I stood there looking up until my neck hurt. Somehow, I sensed that I was seeing something to remember.

/ WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular.... #15  
Like texasjohn, I have pictures that stay with me; seeing most likely some of the same surplus twin tail aircraft going who knows where while standing in our sand driveway in 1963 Georgia, many times alone and the once while I watched my Father wash/wax the last 2 door hardtop he ever owned; a 1962 red/red Catalina hardtop, which due to a growing family was soon replaced by a new 4 door 6 cyl 1964 Tempest Custom. He was too young for WWII but was perfect age for Korea. He could name most of the aircraft , but I only knew and paid attention of the twin tail ones. I was too busy with the oil can lubing up the chain on My Ford pedal tractor (with fake spark plug wires) while my new bicycle w/training wheels was ignored. I couldn't even type long enough to discuss all the the wonderful dogs I've known, just that I have NEVER had a bad pup; all were loved. I could go on and on, but I thank all veterans for the freedom we have; as well as all current armed services. I am a few hours late on the east coast for Pearl Harbor Day but I give a belated thanks. Things could have been much worse.......Thanks

/ WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular.... #16  
Wow...
Simply awesome...

David

/ WWII Aviation Pictures....These are Spectacular.... #17  
Thanks for sharing, brought back a lot of memories, the pic of the b29 is from wright/patterson too I think. We were stationed there in the early 60's, and I remember going there to the museum all the time, used to be able to go thru several of the planes then, probably not that way now.

Of course I have no idea what it was like in the '60s, but we visited the Air Force Museum one day in 1990, but were a bit rushed at the time. So we went back and spent the first TWO DAYS of September, 1993, there. And even two days isn't enough time.