X for experimental?

/ X for experimental? #1  

Solar Oak

Tractor
Magnatrac MH5000 and Bobcat X331
Does anyone know if the X means it's an "experimental" model? I have an X331 mini excavator and I've seen quite a few for sale, online. The X is plainly visible on the machine. But, when I talked to a lady, at Bobcat, she had no clue what it meant. She only knew of the 331. A couple parts sites I've been to, have no listings for the X331. But they do have the 331.

In trying to figure out why one track runs faster than the other, the manufacturer of the drive motor said the X331 was geared a little bit faster. He was the one who said it might stand for Experimental. Just wondering if anyone knows why some are X's and some are not. Thanks in advance.

/ X for experimental?
Could very well mean experimental. I found this site and they say if you change one drive that speed might change slightly..Aftermarket Final drive for Bobcat 231 X331 331 334

I can pretty much vouch for the speed difference. My right motor appears original. The left looks much newer, as in a 331, rather than an X331. The difference is quite obvious! But worth a $2,500 to correct? I don't think so.

/ X for experimental?
I've heard, and thought, of that. But, wouldn't the Bobcat rep know that? It's no big deal. I just wondered if anyone really knew the reason for the X designation.

/ X for experimental? #6  
X stands for extendable dipper arm (hydraulic extendable). For several years was only made in 331 size machine. Model 331 was standard dipper arm length, 334 same machine with fixed longer dipper arm, X331 hydraulic extendable from standard to 334 length.

Note: drive motors in all 3 models were the same. When original motor became "not available", replacement motor is slightly different cubic displacement so travel speed will be different.

/ X for experimental?
X stands for extendable dipper arm (hydraulic extendable). For several years was only made in 331 size machine. Model 331 was standard dipper arm length, 334 same machine with fixed longer dipper arm, X331 hydraulic extendable from standard to 334 length.

Note: drive motors in all 3 models were the same. When original motor became "not available", replacement motor is slightly different cubic displacement so travel speed will be different.

=============================

That certainly sounds reasonable. Except that my X331 does not have an extendable arm. I've stumbled across several things recently, that seem to prove your theory, as to my serial number (512915200-512917112), was correct. But, now I'm wondering if the serial number is correct, or the X331 painted on the side?

/ X for experimental? #8  
I forgot about the other possibility. The bucket X-change system. The X may mean machine was built from factory with the quick X-change bucket attachment versus normal pin on bucket. When the X-change system came out it was a factory option, not standard.
Either way X does not mean experimental. All experimental, test machines were property of engineering R&D and never sold to anyone. If they were not exactly like production model they were disassembled and eventually sold for scrape.

/ X for experimental?
I forgot about the other possibility. The bucket X-change system. The X may mean machine was built from factory with the quick X-change bucket attachment versus normal pin on bucket. When the X-change system came out it was a factory option, not standard.
Either way X does not mean experimental. All experimental, test machines were property of engineering R&D and never sold to anyone. If they were not exactly like production model they were disassembled and eventually sold for scrape.

=============================
I'm afraid that's not it, either. Mine does not have the quick connect system. I wish it did, even though I only have one bucket, at the time. I think my unit made a trip through a scrap yard, so maybe, the extendable arm was replaced, with a standard one. I'm still surprised that the lady at the factory, didn't know the difference.