X485 electircal prob

/ X485 electircal prob #1  

JDO

Tractor
Deere485
Turned my tractor off and it will not start now. If I leave the key on for a few minutes the lights will eventually come on, but when I depress the brake and turn the key to start it everything goes dead. I have heard a single loud click on the left side but cannot pin down where it comes from. The click sort of sounds like a circuit breaker when it trips in an electrical panel. no problems to this point.

/ X485 electircal prob #2  
first thing you can try is a jump, and see what happens .
if it starts, then the battery could be bad,
if the same condition exists, you can try to check cables and connections.
the relays are going to engage when you turn the key, there is a fuel relay and
probably others, that should be fairly normal.
are you hearing the fuel pump run for a few seconds right after the key is turned on?

welcome to TBN!

/ X485 electircal prob #3  
2nd the battery if its a John Deere "Strong Box" there is not any warning when they go. Just replaced one on my 2305 ran good and started good all day. Time to run it in the barn, dead as a rock. Happened the same way on my x485.

/ X485 electircal prob
first thing you can try is a jump, and see what happens .
if it starts, then the battery could be bad,
if the same condition exists, you can try to check cables and connections.
the relays are going to engage when you turn the key, there is a fuel relay and
probably others, that should be fairly normal.
are you hearing the fuel pump run for a few seconds right after the key is turned on?

welcome to TBN!

Thanx for the reply. It is really weird and I don't think its the battery. If I leave the key on after a while the dash lights will come on and I can hear the fuel pump run. When I depress the brake and turn the key to start it goes dead again with a loud click that I think is coming from the left side. It has done that about 4 times now with random amounts of time between turning the key on initially and waiting for it to activate the fuel pump. Tried looking at the connections but there are so many of them to trace. Will be checking the battery today with volt tester, but have work to take care of first so will be a while.

/ X485 electircal prob #5  
JDO, welcome to the forum. Not sure of course, but this sounds like a nanny device shutting you down, if not the fuel delivery issue. Wonder if it's a safety switch stuck down? Just might be something loose, good luck tracking it down.
If you tractor is at least three years old, I'd suspect the battery. Low voltage can do funky things. The fact that things turn OFF when you turn the key makes me think it's a protective circuit shutting things down.

Hmmm, I have that same expensive JD oem battery in my LX280...time to check the water.

/ X485 electircal prob
Hey guys - it was the battery! I tested the battery with a voltage tested and it came in @ 12.61 volts & thought it was fine. But then got to wonderin what it would read under load. So I turned the key and heard the loud click and immediately tested the voltage and it came in @ .53 volts - walaaaaa! Got new battery for $42 bucks, installed it and everything is fine and everybody happy. Oh, and forgot to say the battery was the original (2004) so I got my money out of that one! Anyway thanx to all who replied and I will definitely recommend this site to my friends. Saved a dealer repair fee for a simple fix - thanx to you guys! Thanx again and take care - you'll be hearing from me again I'm sure!

/ X485 electircal prob #7  
JDO,
yeah, a nine year old battery is the first place to look. Was that battery maintenance free or the hd JD one with caps?
curious which one lasted that long. Glad you are back mowing. If you have a smart charger, the one that desulfates your battery, put that on your JD a couple of times a year if you can and that new battery will last a long time. But nine years?
Six is a stretch I think.

all's well that ends well. A fine easy, relatively cheap solution. :thumbsup:

/ X485 electircal prob
Hey daugen,
The battery was the old type with caps - not maint free (new one is). Yeah time got away from me and I was thinking it was 6-7 years old until I checked the records - blew me away! I keep a trickle charger on it a couple times during the winter (switching it off & on with a Corvette we seldom drive). Anyway, checking it and reading 12.6 volts I thought it was fine until I checked it under load. That's why I assumed it was okay. Have this site on my favorites now!!!!!

/ X485 electircal prob #9  
JDO, I bought a zero hour JD that had been sitting in someone's garage for seven years.
strange story but not for now. The battery was dead. I asked the prior owner, who was a close friend, btw, to
get a battery for it, which he was glad to do. I got a call from him regarding the batteries, apparently the spec'd JD battery was the 500 rated old style battery with individual cell caps. Which is what he got for me.

My initial reaction, kept to myself... ,was dismay, I wanted a "modern" gel no maintenance battery. Or do I?...seems this old style battery was very high quality, and lasts for a remarkably long time, if water kept in it of course. My next battery will be maintenance free, I rarely see the others except on larger commercial batteries. I had a boat with eight batteries, all with caps, and boy was that a pain. So I'm interested in how well the maintenance free batteries hold up. But then my motorhome dealer told me I needed to pry the caps off my kinda sealed batteries and inspect them that way. Ok.??

glad to have you aboard.