X740 leak down.

/ X740 leak down. #1  

JDTank

Platinum Member
My X740 has 35 hours on it, and I am wondering if this is normal.

I have had the tractor 4 months now, and this issue started a week ago.

Before, I could leave my tractor a week, and the mower deck would stay up. Now, if I leave my machine overnight, my mower deck is all the way down against the pre-set stop. Should a machine with only 35 hours on it already have leak down in the hydraulics? Just wondering if this is a warranty issue or if this is normal? I have not had any attachments on this tractor besides the mower deck.

/ X740 leak down. #2  
My 445 with 1100 hrs on it does this also, but it takes maybe 6 hours for the 60" deck to drop down all the way.
You hear it creaking down in small 1/8" increments after it's parked.

I also do not know if this is normal or not, but it's not a big problem.

/ X740 leak down. #3  
My X748 does the same thing. I've never timed it, but it does leak down over night. I've always guessed that the lube that they assemble the valves with is heavier than the low vis hydro fluid, so once that washes away, you end up with slight leakdown.
Unless you have a high dollar, hand lapped servo valve, or DPOC's in the lines, all SCV's leak down. There has to be some clearance in the spool. I think it is a little worse these days because the hydraulic fluid is lower viscosity.
After 970 hours on my X748, it hasn't changed any, and I don't notice it with normal operation.
Lucky for you, with a 4 year warranty, you have a long time to see if it gets worse.:drink:

/ X740 leak down. #4  
My 14 year old JD 345 has always done that too. However, I never leave it parked with the mower in the up position. For safety reasons any implement on a tractor should always be left in lowered position when parked.

Bill