X748 PTO quit working

/ X748 PTO quit working #1  

Molerj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 955, 1978 Economy Power King, JD X500
Electric PTO just quit working while mowing. So far I have; removed and tested switch--good checked fuses--good checked seat switch--good checked that 12 volts is present at the PTO switch--good. It doesn't seem that 12 volts is going to the terminal that plugs into the solenoid on the back of the transmission. Not real sure if I should read 12 volts there though. Any troubleshooting ideas?

/ X748 PTO quit working #2  
What year is your machine? I have a 2006 with the mechanical 4WD. I will dig up the schematic later, It may be different from the hydraulic 4WD, but should be close.

/ X748 PTO quit working
What year is your machine? I have a 2006 with the mechanical 4WD. I will dig up the schematic later, It may be different from the hydraulic 4WD, but should be close.

It's a customers. But I'm going to say about 5 yrs. old. Thanks

/ X748 PTO quit working #4  
Make sure it isn't just the screens covered with clippings causing it to overheat. The mower will disconnect the pto if this happens.

/ X748 PTO quit working
Thanks for the tip about the screens. We went through all the wiring. Found some corrosion at the fuse block. All the other terminals, switch, solenoid checked out. At some point it cleared itself. Didn't know that if the brake is on that the pto won't engage. Or that it will shut off when mowing and the brake is applied. Nonetheless, that was another bump in the road. Mowed for an hr. and a half and is working fine. Would rather of found the exact cause but I'll have to be satisfied it's working. 👍