X749 With new 54" Snow Blower

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #71  
In Alaska they do not honor the 10% coupon, nor do they offer reward points or at least they never mentioned them. You would think they would since I have bought a 2305 3 yrs ago with loader, ballast, and 47" blower and this fall I bought a 2720 with loader ballast ytforks and 57" blower. The dealer here will not deal at all on anything, since the are the only dealer in the state it is "here's the price take it or leave it. I had work lights put on the 2305 and it was the cost of the light kit & $70.00 installation, the same lights on the 2720 was the light kit & $170 install. Guess that is the price you pay for being a loyal customer, LOL. As for the plastic impeller I don't think there is anything that would improve the proformance and it was just poor engineering and being cheap. Like I said I burned at least 2 times the fuel then I do with the metal impeller and it throws it at least 2+ times further.

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #72  
On the discount and reward points I was referring to greenfarmparts.com. That is where I buy all my parts and accessories. They are always sending me discount coupons and you earn rewards points with each purchase. They also run free shipping specials. I bought my light kits and rear SCV kits from them. My local dealers don't stock much out of the ordinary and so far GreenFarmParts has always had everything I need. Granted - for items needed in an emergency I would probably check with the dealer first.

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #73  
Could you post teh part number for teh metal impeller? Thanks.

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #74  
I saw another post that said the part number for the metal impeller from the 47" is AM109105

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #75  
I saw another post that said the part number for the metal impeller from the 47" is AM109105

That is the part number I ordered for my 54". I have the new impeller sitting here in a box waiting for me to get a chance to install it. I will post some photos when I do. I will say that the metal impeller is very heavy and should have considerably more inertia than the plastic one.

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #76  
Turbo36,
Tractor Looks great, Question : Is it possible to have a cab and still be able to reach the spout cap control ? I'm soon to be ordering X738 and a 47" blower and trying get all the info I can. Any updates on the plastic impeller ? Any buyer beware Facts you can give me ?

Last edited:
   / X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #77  
Turbo36,
Tractor Looks great, Question : Is it possible to have a cab and still be able to reach the spout cap control ? I'm soon to be ordering X738 and a 47" blower and trying get all the info I can. Any updates on the plastic impeller ? Any buyer beware Facts you can give me ?
I would recommend looking at the electric spout control which you can purchase on ebay (search for "Snowblower thrower chute control"). I did the electric based on other users recommendations and I love it. The one on ebay has quick cycle times vs. some of the others I've seen. It's also about the same price as the manual control from JD. Both can be controlled from inside the cab. Mine is on an X749 with a 54" snowblower but it will fit on the 47" and other model tractors.

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #78  
The weather was great over the weekend so I tore my 54-inch blower apart and installed the steel impeller in place of the plastic one. It was fairly easy to remove and install. I wouldn't have wanted to wait much longer though. I only used my blower one season and already the metal bushing inside the plastic impeller was rusted solid to the impeller shaft. I had to use a large rubber mallet to get the impeller loose. While the plastic impeller has a solid metal tube running the full depth of the impeller, the steel one only has about a 1" bushing surface in the front and back. I polished the driveshaft with some emory cloth and coated everything with NeverSeize when I reinstalled it. I did notice that since I had to remove the extra metal spacer that drives the large nut on the plastic impeller, I had to adjust the impeller front retaining collar accordingly. JD seems to have designed the drive shaft to accomodate either impeller as they milled a square notch where the setscrew goes. The setscrew rides in the back of the notch with the plastic impeller and in the front of the notch with the steel impeller. Otherwise, nothing else needed adjustment other than re-aligning the chain sprockets.

It was a little tricky getting the drive chain and sprockets on and off. Why JD made the clearances on the surrounding metal plates so tight is beyond me.

Everything seemed to line-up perfectly and all the shafts spin effortlessly. Unfortunately I won't know the results of my labor until winter.

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #79  
Had a chance to try the 54" blower with the new metal impeller and it definitely improved the performance. The snow was very heavy yet I was still able to throw it 25-30 feet with the engine around 2200 RPM.

/ X749 With new 54" Snow Blower #80  
New 54" blower mounted on my 1 year old X749. It appears to be very similar to the 47" with a few changes; the sheet metal sides are heavier and it now has a plastic impeller.

I know this thread is old, I see you have a 54" blade too. Does that use the same quick mount as the snowblower?

I have an x534 with the 47" snowblower, but have thought about getting the 48" blade if
I could easily switch from one ot the other. I was told by the dealer that the balde could not
be ordered without the tractor half of the quick mount, and I didn't want to pay for two of them
so when I ordered it I did not get the blade.

Anyone know the answer?