XR 4046 no start

/ XR 4046 no start #1  

Jbird 52

Tractor
Ls xr4046
Hello all new comer here. This is gonna be a lengthy post. I have an XR 4046 shuttle tractor. Was using it lightly a few weeks ago and it just died. Turned key off and tried to restart and it wouldn’t crank or show glow plug symbol on dash. Realised the fuel pump wasn’t running so we hot wired it and jumped the starter to get it back to the barn. I have checked or cleaned all grounds and fuses as well. Battery load tests good. I worked the key back and forth pretty aggressively the other evening and fuel pump would work at times and tractor would maybe start or sometimes the starter sounded as if the battery was week but I know it’s good. I have ordered a new key switch but what else could I be missing. When I turn the key to the first position the only lights on the dash are battery and parking break. Thanks

/ XR 4046 no start #2  
There are a few safety switches to check too. The shuttle shift switch, the clutch switch, and the seat switch.

/ XR 4046 no start #3  
Check for frayed/shorted/burnt wires as well. Dying while running could be a shorted fuel solenoid, ECU, fuse, or any number of other electrical gremlins. I vaguely recall someone describing a similar situation a few months ago where their harness chaffed on a flange near the firewall, but can't remember if it was same model.

/ XR 4046 no start
My mind keeps going to one of the safeties but they have been tested as well

/ XR 4046 no start
Update…. Replaced key switch and had same results. Recleaned all grounds and added another ground from battery to fire wall. Finally was able to get fuel pump to kick on reliably but some times have to turn key backwards and then to start to get it to crank over and start. Also now have no tach reading, hour meter not moving and pretty sure temp guage not moving as well. Also no glow plug light on dash. I’m open for any more ideas.

/ XR 4046 no start #6  
I have a XR 4046 and was having the same issue as you. I did what you did with all the ground connections,and also took off the fuel solenoid and tested it. It was ok, so I ended up taking it to my dealer. It wound up being the ecm. It has to be replaced by the dealer, because of the programing with LS software. I would suggest testing the fuel solenoid first. Hope this helps and good luck.

/ XR 4046 no start
Thanks for the reply monkeyduster. My mind keeps saying ecm but don’t want it to be true. Expensive fix if it is

/ XR 4046 no start
Update on Xr4046. It appears to be working fine now. Lots of grounds cleaned and added an extra one. Cleaned lots of plugs as well with contact cleaner