XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues #1  

TheSpoon

Silver Member
Tractor
LS 4046H
Tractor's been a down a few months now since I haven't had the chance to work on it.
Short synopses: Won't start.

Symptoms:
There's always been some power to the dash.
When putting the key in and turning, I was getting the fuel pump turning on coil dashboard light was being lite. After coil light would turn off, I'd get one click from the starter, and nothing.

I've replaced the battery.
Cleaned the frame (ground away paint) at the 2 ground connections near the battery and 1 on the firewall. Dealer says there's also another on the bell housing, but I'm having trouble finding it.
Replaced 5 amp fuse under dash near HST peddles.

Currently, when I put the key in and turn to 1st position I'll sometimes get a low buzz coming from the fuse box area by the brake pedals and in the hours display I'll get a "b 4" (not really a b though, more like an upside down F) and "u 12" (might be u11, I'm not at the tractor currently) then nothing. No fuel pump sound, not clicking when trying to turn over. Anyone have any idea and/or could point me to where the 3rd ground might be so I can check that off before calling the dealer?

Thanks

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues #2  
Electrical trouble shooting 101, start with a known good fully charged battery. I know you said you replaced the battery, but I've seen bad new batteries.

Pull your battery, fully charge it and take it to any big box auto parts store and have it load tested. Once you have verified you have a good battery, that is when meaningful trouble shooting can begin.

I had a similar symptom of a low buzz in the lower left dash area once on my R3039. I ended up finding that the PTO switch was not completely in the off position. I cycled it on and then off and the tractor took right off.

Oh, one more thing, when you bring that new battery home, it is not fully charged. I always put a new battery on my smart charger overnight or until the charger indicates fully charged. 12.6 volts is fully charged on a rested battery (surface charge dissipated). 12 volts is only 50% charged.

Good luck.

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues #3  
In addition to the above excellent advice I strongly recommend cleaning the terminals of the battery as well as the connecting cables. When you install the cables ensure they are clamped tightly on the battery. Be sure the bolts holding your starter are tight. That's how it completes its ground circuit. Be sure the starter power connector is tight as well.

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues #4  
perhaps the ground that goes from the chassis to the engine block is missing/bad.. that ground carries the current from the battery to the starter..

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. To cover all the suggestions.

I verified the battery was charged before install (12.65 V across posts) from store.

I put my battery tender on overnight last night, it read charged this morning, still no change.

I'll double check the PTO again, but I had at one point in my checking, cycled it on and off to verify.

I've taken the battery fully out after originally installing, wire brushed posts, the negative jumper cable ends, ground the frame to bare metal at the connection points, and brushed bolts. Also verified all connections when reconnecting were tight.

I'll check the starter connections tomorrow.

perhaps the ground that goes from the chassis to the engine block is missing/bad.. that ground carries the current from the battery to the starter..
I've tried locating this ground but haven't had any luck locating it. Do you know where?

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues #7  
I'd still be getting the battery load tested.

What is the voltage at the battery when you try and crank the engine (start switch in the Start position)?

I'd still be getting the battery load tested.

What is the voltage at the battery when you try and crank the engine (start switch in the Start position)?
12.7 V. Has been off the charger for over a day.

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues #9  
I've tried locating this ground but haven't had any luck locating it. Do you know where?
somewhere on the engine block to the chassis is all I can say.. it should be easy to see a heavy cable..

/ XR4046H Electrical/Startup Issues #10  
I've seen a few of these questions on different boards about different brands and at least some of them turned out to be the ignition switch itself.