y Gator 6*4 with 3000h, good idea or bad one?

/ y Gator 6*4 with 3000h, good idea or bad one? #1  

EricM3

Tractor
john deere
hello
I am interested to buy a Gator 6*4.
I found an interesting and not too expensive one on the net.
Only drawback (as expected), it is from 1998 and with 3000hours. It was owned by a council so should have been properly checked (no parts were changed). It is in a good shape.
It is has a diesel engine.
I have a Ford 3000 tractor which is from the 70ies and works great (but does not have many hours).
Wondering if it is a good idea to buy a gator with so many hours.
Do people here have old gators with many hours & had issues with them?
Do you know how many hours such engine can live?
Shall i expect to change parts after a certain level of hours?
thx for your feedback
eric

/ y Gator 6*4 with 3000h, good idea or bad one? #2  
At least it's a diesel! Diesel life expectancy is probably around 5k-7k hours. If it was well taken care of, and the price was right I wouldn't be afraid of it.

/ y Gator 6*4 with 3000h, good idea or bad one? #3  
Welcome to TBN!

I have the opposing view....it certainly could last 5000 hours...and could also start giving you problems @3001 hours. With 3000 hours of use on all the components, unless you're getting it for a few hundred bucks, I would keep looking for something with far less hours.

Good luck!

/ y Gator 6*4 with 3000h, good idea or bad one? #4  
I agree with scoutcub...
The diesel engine (a Yanmar, most likely, which is a very durable engine) is one component. The rest of the driveline also has the 3000 hours on it. If the seller has maintenance records, you can see what has been replaced.
However, if the price is right and it's in decent condition (considering the hours)....well, it's a bit of a risk but might be a good risk.

/ y Gator 6*4 with 3000h, good idea or bad one? #5  
I don't think I would be afraid of it if it looks like it was maintained. The engine should be good for several more thousand hours. I assume that it is like the other gators with a belt drive and gear transmission that should be in good shape. The belt may need replacing if it is original, wheel bearings also might go out at anytime but both are not high dollar items. If price is low with enough wiggle room to put in a few hundred in maintenance, go for it.