Y2K GMC rear disc brakes

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Had to replace the OEM rears on my 3/4 ton Yukon XL over the weekend, it has 42750 miles on it (It's strictly a tow vehicle) and the OEM fronts still have about 20,000 miles left on them. Only vehicle I have ever owned where the rear brakes wore out before the front. Just wondering how many other GM truck owners had the same problem?

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #2  
My MIL Ford Tarus SHO did the same thing at 50K.

Chris

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #3  
Had a 2002 K2500 Suburban from 50,000 to 98,000 miles. The cooling fins in the center of the rear rotors rusted out at about 80,000 miles causing them to warp. I changed the front pads at the same time but they weren't as worn as the rears.

My 1999 GMC K1500 wore the rear brakes before the front.

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #4  
Rear brakes are usually smaller than the fronts. Combine that with being a tow vehicle.....

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #5  
hmm.. i'm going to go against my normal opinion and say that my 2000 yukon's rear brakes gave me no problems ( SHOCK! )

everything else on the truck seems to be a POS.. but not the brakes. :) ratio of front to rear changes seemes to echo what i have seen with other vehicles.

it's currently parked in the barn with about 260k on her and no tag. still runs.. but i'm hard pressed to pawn that POS off on anybody. I'd feel bad doing so.

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #6  
I don't know how heavy you tow JD, but a common problem here in Salt Water on the Roads 6 months of the Year country is that the rear pads/calipers are prone to seizing up from lack of use - in other words, they are not free to retract. (Retract meaning more like float back clear of the rotor).

Will vary by vehicle design/use; very common issue on p/u trucks mostly driven empty. IMO, rear drums are better at dealing with this type of application/environment.

Some people here have taken to just servicing all calipers twice a year, typ. when changing Winter tires. Done often, you don't need a large collection of expletives handy when working on the caliper !

All that said, perhaps that is just the way the F/R brake bias is set up on these Subs/Yuks.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #7  
Historically, I always expected front pads to wear out sooner, but in the last 10 years we've had several cars (passenger cars, not towing anything) that needed rear pads at around 60-70,000 miles. Fronts were still original when we sold or traded the cars much later. Go figure.

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #8  
Same here, 2003 Suburban. Rear pads are suprisingly small. Pins and slides were pretty much covered in dirt/grit/grim. Think they collect more debris than the fronts based on location. Looks like the pins and slides are going to require some service and lube every other tire rotation. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes per side.

Q

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #9  
Best thing to use is a brake specific lube, something like this:

Brake Maintenance & Repair : Permatex

Permatex seems to have re-badged that lately, I haven't seen that particular label here yet. A local parts jobber should have something equivalent on the shelf. That above listing seems pretty useless re. specs, the back of the package will tell you a lot more.

These application specific synth lubes have a couple of things going for them. What I like:

1) Really good low temperature performance (vs. conventional antiseize).

2) Won't soften/deteriorate brake rubbers, the way a conventional grease can.

3) A little goes a long way, so a tube is a minor cost when doing brake service.

Rgds, D.

/ Y2K GMC rear disc brakes #10  
Best thing to use is a brake specific lube, something like this: Brake Maintenance & Repair : Permatex Permatex seems to have re-badged that lately, I haven't seen that particular label here yet. A local parts jobber should have something equivalent on the shelf. That above listing seems pretty useless re. specs, the back of the package will tell you a lot more. These application specific synth lubes have a couple of things going for them. What I like: 1) Really good low temperature performance (vs. conventional antiseize). 2) Won't soften/deteriorate brake rubbers, the way a conventional grease can. 3) A little goes a long way, so a tube is a minor cost when doing brake service. Rgds, D.
Dielectric grease will also work in a pinch.