Yamaha Wolverine X2

/ Yamaha Wolverine X2 #1  

Bocephous

Gold Member
Tractor
LS 4047H
I've been looking at UTV's for several years, but none of the big 3 Japanese manufacturers of UTV's (my preference is Japanese motorcycles and vehicles) had made anything that checked all the boxes I needed checked: sport, utility, bucket seats (comfort), tilt wheel, reliability, affordability (relative). When Yamaha (my favorite of the big 4 Japanese motorcycle companies) came out with the X2 it caught my eye, so I started shopping.

My local Yamaha dealer would budge on price, but I found a dealer a couple of hours away that was selling them significantly cheaper. Their offer of a trade on my '07 Suzuki Vinson was acceptable so I did the deal.

I've not got enough hours/miles on it yet to perform the break-in fluid changes, but I really like it. It goes anywhere on our property that the ATV went, is easy and comfortable to drive, and has enough bed capacity (600lbs) and towing capacity (2000lbs) to be really useful (to me, at least). A few simple changes in compression/rebound damping made the suspension much more supple than it was with factory settings. I ordered it with a KFI 3500lb winch and a rear bumper, and have mirrors and a trailer hitch on the way. A windshield and plow will, God-willing, be had before winter comes around again.

20200601_143325.jpg

wolverine x2.jpg

wolverine x2 2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Yamaha Wolverine X2 #2  
Nice looking UTV, beautiful place you have there, very will kept.

/ Yamaha Wolverine X2 #4  
Sweet. Should be good for play and work. It is interesting that Yamaha brought pack the Wolverine name. I have 1996 Wolverine ATV I bought new in 1996. It still runs great.

/ Yamaha Wolverine X2 #5  
I have been salivating over the Yamaha Wolverine X2 XTR ever since one of my friends bought one a few months ago; I have a Yamaha Kodiak ATV and am a big fan of the Yamaha Ultramatic drivetrain. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying one and so far that hasn't been hard. The local Yamaha/Polaris dealer doesn't have one and doesn't seem interested in ordering one; he gave me a quote and it is full list price as per the Yamaha website. But that could be because he also sells a lot of high-end Polaris UTVs and prefers to deal in them...probably because his mechanics make a lot of money for him working on them. My two closest neighbors have Polaris UTVs and both of them seem to spend most of their time in the shop.

By the way - I grew up on a farm near Heart Lake, between New Milford and Montrose. Was looking forward to coming back to Pennsylvania this August for the Harford Fair but because of this virus thing now that may not happen.

/ Yamaha Wolverine X2 #6  
Nice looking machine but I choke at spending $20K on a non-street legal golf cart. I think Id rather buy a used pickup truck for that price, at least I could put it on the road legally. UTV would be a lot more fun though.

/ Yamaha Wolverine X2
I have been salivating over the Yamaha Wolverine X2 XTR ever since one of my friends bought one a few months ago; I have a Yamaha Kodiak ATV and am a big fan of the Yamaha Ultramatic drivetrain. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying one and so far that hasn't been hard. The local Yamaha/Polaris dealer doesn't have one and doesn't seem interested in ordering one; he gave me a quote and it is full list price as per the Yamaha website. But that could be because he also sells a lot of high-end Polaris UTVs and prefers to deal in them...probably because his mechanics make a lot of money for him working on them. My two closest neighbors have Polaris UTVs and both of them seem to spend most of their time in the shop.

By the way - I grew up on a farm near Heart Lake, between New Milford and Montrose. Was looking forward to coming back to Pennsylvania this August for the Harford Fair but because of this virus thing now that may not happen.

Expand your search using ATVtrader.com. I found a dealer two hours south in Jonestown that was selling them for $2650 under MSRP.

That's a nice area. I drove near it the other day on my way to Montrose to renew my wife's c.c. permit.

Sweet. Should be good for play and work. It is interesting that Yamaha brought pack the Wolverine name. I have 1996 Wolverine ATV I bought new in 1996. It still runs great.

I remember those. 4 wheel drive, combination sport/utility quad, right?

Nice looking machine but I choke at spending $20K on a non-street legal golf cart. I think Id rather buy a used pickup truck for that price, at least I could put it on the road legally. UTV would be a lot more fun though.

I wouldn't pay that much, either. $13,8?? out the door, not counting the winch and bumper. I checked that dealers website two days later and they raised the price $600, and checking today it's up $1100. I assume inventory is getting low, nationwide. I pulled the trigger at just the right time, it seems.

/ Yamaha Wolverine X2 #9  
Had I known they were coming out with the X2 a couple years later I would have held off just for the 139 more cc's. I got an R-spec with intentions of taking it out west some day to places I explore in my dual sport motorcycle. I've owned Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda dual sports and have had the least problems with Yamaha. I couldn't justify the power steering but some days I think maybe it would help. When I test drove, once you were moving I could tell no difference. I had a Grizzly with power steering and sometimes wondered if it was even working. I put some Seizmik mirrors on it (not cheap but nicely made). I had a winch on the Grizzly and it was mostly useless due to the lightness of the Grizzly. So, I almost didn't put an aftermarket winch on the Wolverine but glad I did. Recently my property neighbor helped me winch over a large rotting oak that needed to fall a certain way to avoid fence damage to another neighbor. Worked way better than i thought it would.
20190316_170738.jpg

/ Yamaha Wolverine X2 #10  
Good choice,I am on my third new Yamaha,Grizzley-Rhino-Viking.I have had very good luck with all three.The Wolverine has a 850cc twin if I remember right.Mine have all be 660-700 cc singles.I moved up to 27" rubber on the stock rims,full windshield,back windshield,bumpers,front rack and tool box.

Attachments

• 100_1662.JPG
    100_1662.JPG
    880.6 KB · Views: 87