Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?)

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #11  
The key thing is, I'm on many tractor forums, even globally in other languages. The VNs are treated like bastard child around the globe. People in Australia hate them due to so many with failures.

I'm happy the OP is in GA and can look over YM machines at Spalding. For the money it would take to get the VN to be long time durable and ROPs and other hardware, the end result is a UTDA machine overall. Just no work on the OP to get it there.

The YM1500 has the wimpy 3 digit hour meter. It's impossible to say it has 1250 hours or 12500 hours. And being on it's 3rd go around in life is very questionable.
I get what your saying. The ym2000 and all machines of that era have the 3 digit hour meters.

I don't deny that more VN machines have problems than ones from Fredericks. Back in the day the price difference was small, today I am not sure what it is. I guess my point is, I know you have seen the pics of the import yards in the Yanmar grey import heyday. Literally hundreds of not thousands of them were there. While there were and are many issues it's kind of one of those things that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There are thousands of owners that believe they got a machine redone in Japan, is a 1999 model year totally reconditioned, whatever the story they got was. Many of these people may have little skill or budget. You only hear a small percentage of buyers who have an issue and are trying to fix it themself for budget reasons or there doing it themselves and seek guidance. The machines history reveals itself then. The ones who are running the tractors flawlessly for hundreds of hours at this point have no reason to seek out Yanmar forums unless there just forum hounds and like sharing and learning like so many of us here.

I say that to also say, if buying reconditioned look at Fredericks machines hard look at the price difference and weigh any potential risk for issues carefully! If buying used and a machine has had over 200 hours put on it by a previous owner without major issue take that into consideration also a cost savings of buying one redone from Fredericks.

Full disclosure I own a VN tractor. I don't hide the fact, I have said it many times. I often times think, I should of just paid the little extra and got a Fredrick's machine. But honestly in the 14 years or so I have owned it I have not spent that price difference on parts even to this day. Would some of these parts worn out of I got it from Fredericks..maybe, maybe not. Most things are wear items. A 40 year old strainer splitting, probably age, it was a Yanmar part after all. Alternator...who knows these go out on anything at any point. Oil pressure sending unit, again who knows with the cheap quality of parts today. Rear wheel oil seals... probably since I am redoing ones that I have already done once on my tractor. Three point lift o rings, maybe, I don't care they cost $2 and install in very little time. Yes I'm doing a rear axle bearing...maybe that would be fine if I got a Fredericks machine cause mine I'm sure we're from a tractor that never had trans oil changed and had water in it as we hear people say and of course it was beat to death in VN. Had a three point valve basically exploded. It was a freak think that even Aaron at Hoye said he had never seen, that can happen to anyone. Things I wouldn't have had to do. I rebuilt my three point lift with a new ring on the piston. That wasn't done but would have at Fredrick's. Also I had to replace the radiator. This was given to me under warranty from the purchase place though. I took my own time to replace it of course . They would of used a new one at Fredericks I bet or at least caught the spit in it. I also would of got new tires. Mine came with original looking ones. I have replaced a front already, and the other will be in a year or two from now. I hope to get another 10 years from the rears or more.

I like working on and getting to know my machine. But I really don't like having to do the work at some times. If I couldn't do this work I would take that into consideration.

I totally get what your saying. Its a roll of the dice. I also want people to know it's a risk yes but it's not like 75% of those machines are doomed. If that was the case they would be parked on the sides of fields and yards all over and not working doing gardens, food plots , and mowing duty.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #12  
I get what your saying. The ym2000 and all machines of that era have the 3 digit hour meters.

I don't deny that more VN machines have problems than ones from Fredericks. Back in the day the price difference was small, today I am not sure what it is. I guess my point is, I know you have seen the pics of the import yards in the Yanmar grey import heyday. Literally hundreds of not thousands of them were there. While there were and are many issues it's kind of one of those things that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. There are thousands of owners that believe they got a machine redone in Japan, is a 1999 model year totally reconditioned, whatever the story they got was. Many of these people may have little skill or budget. You only hear a small percentage of buyers who have an issue and are trying to fix it themself for budget reasons or there doing it themselves and seek guidance. The machines history reveals itself then. The ones who are running the tractors flawlessly for hundreds of hours at this point have no reason to seek out Yanmar forums unless there just forum hounds and like sharing and learning like so many of us here.

I say that to also say, if buying reconditioned look at Fredericks machines hard look at the price difference and weigh any potential risk for issues carefully! If buying used and a machine has had over 200 hours put on it by a previous owner without major issue take that into consideration also a cost savings of buying one redone from Fredericks.

Full disclosure I own a VN tractor. I don't hide the fact, I have said it many times. I often times think, I should of just paid the little extra and got a Fredrick's machine. But honestly in the 14 years or so I have owned it I have not spent that price difference on parts even to this day. Would some of these parts worn out of I got it from Fredericks..maybe, maybe not. Most things are wear items. A 40 year old strainer splitting, probably age, it was a Yanmar part after all. Alternator...who knows these go out on anything at any point. Oil pressure sending unit, again who knows with the cheap quality of parts today. Rear oil seals... probably since I am redoing ones that I have already done once on my tractor. Three point lift o rings, maybe, I don't care they cost $2 and install in very little time. Yes I'm doing a rear axle bearing...maybe that would be fine if I got a Fredericks machine cause mine I'm sure we're from a tractor that never had trans oil changed and had water in it as we hear people say and of course it was beat to death in VN. Had a three point valve basically exploded. It was a freak think that even Aaron at Hoye said he had never seen, that can happen to anyone. Things I wouldn't have had to do. I rebuilt my three point lift with a new ring on the piston. That wasn't done but would have at Fredrick's. Also I had to replace the radiator. This was given to me under warranty from the purchase place though. I took my own time to replace it of course . They would of used a new one at Fredericks I bet or at least caught the spit in it. I also would of got new tires. Mine came with original looking ones. I have replaced a front already, and the other will be in a year or two from now. I hope to get another 10 years from the rears or more.

I like working on and getting to know my machine. But I really don't like having to do the work at some times. If I couldn't do this work I would take that into consideration.

I totally get what your saying. Its a roll of the dice. I also want people to know it's a risk yes but it's not like 75% 9f those machines are doomed. If that was the case they would be parked on the sides of fields and yards all over and not working doing gardens, food plots , and mowing duty.

Clemson, I know where you are coming from. :) I think you miss my point. The VN machines are 3rd hand-me-downs vs. those coming from Japan as 2nd hand downs. It's that middle of VN that is troubling.

For those people with VNs from the late 90s till now, either those became salvage yard machines or passed further along as the buyer cut their losses. The other forums beside TBN tell of those detailed stories of the VN problems.

I'm happy you got a machine that the VN didn't trash completely.

As for the OP's posting of the VN YM1500D for $6,500 and no warranty is not a deal what-so-ever that Fredricks or others would offer. In my previous posting, a person can get a higher YM model 4WD machine for the same price and a 1-year warranty. The VN refurb prices are getting to be too high. Might as well stick with refurbs still from Japan. ;)

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #13  
That particular YM1500D seems overpriced for its unknown condition.

But that's a decent model. Only its loader is unsupported, so only that component will eventually need hose adapters etc to conform it to available parts.

Fredricks is a far better source if you are wiling to pay prices like this.

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?)
Is the issue with the gray market or VN rebuilds particular (mostly) to yanmars?
full disclosure— I own and have rebuilt a few gravely walk behinds, so while I feel knowledgeable about machines I am new to tractors.
thanks
B

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #15  
Is the issue with the gray market or VN rebuilds particular (mostly) to yanmars?
full disclosure— I own and have rebuilt a few gravely walk behinds, so while I feel knowledgeable about machines I am new to tractors.
thanks
B
The problem is the VN rebuilts are random. Most people win the gamble. A few buy one with no warranty or recourse, like this one, and discover it needs hundreds of $ to re-work something back to what it should have been.

I bought the parts to essentially restore my (US model) YM240 in 2003, from a VN importer that was too honest to survive. The had a row of pristine tractors out back to salvage parts off of, that were warranty returns that their retailers had sent back to them because they were unrepairable. Everything I needed to replace, dashboard warning light assembly, bashed headlights etc, was cheap there and I watched as they salvaged what I needed.

A little later they told me Le, the manager, had gone back to VN to plead with the 'factory' for better quality control because the warranty returns were killing them. I think everyone I saw there was family with the VN plant. A couple of years later they were gone, their fair handling of their warranty had buried them.

A VN rebuilt is a reasonable gamble for someone with mechanical skills to maintain it. If the price is low enough to offfset the gamble. That one is priced like it was flawless, like a warranted real rebuilt from Fredricks, but that flaky seller and no history should cause a major discount - just in case some work is needed. Yanmars are superb quality. But tractors like that one may or may not be 100% real Yanmar. Maybe some kid was given a file and a block of steel and told to replicate some part the shop didn't have for it.

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #16  
Clemson, I know where you are coming from. :) I think you miss my point. The VN machines are 3rd hand-me-downs vs. those coming from Japan as 2nd hand downs. It's that middle of VN that is troubling.

For those people with VNs from the late 90s till now, either those became salvage yard machines or passed further along as the buyer cut their losses. The other forums beside TBN tell of those detailed stories of the VN problems.

I'm happy you got a machine that the VN didn't trash completely.

As for the OP's posting of the VN YM1500D for $6,500 and no warranty is not a deal what-so-ever that Fredricks or others would offer. In my previous posting, a person can get a higher YM model 4WD machine for the same price and a 1-year warranty. The VN refurb prices are getting to be too high. Might as well stick with refurbs still from Japan. ;)
I never clicked the link and I had no idea of the price. This is the first I heard that. My answer is RUN from that for that price and look at Fredrick's. If it were $3500 or 4000 I would VERY seriously consider the posted tractor. But no reason to buy a used VN machine (even if proven)for something very close to the ballpark of a totally redone unit from Fredericks.

Again, study do your research and be comfortable with the decision to buy either based on facts
thanks
B
No they do the same thing with Iseki, and Mitsubishi and a few others. The others are not as popular and not really sold to near the level as Yanmars. People are familiar with the Yanmar name from marine gensets and the engines in compact JD tractors and other applications. They sell better and focused more on.

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #17  
No they do the same thing with Iseki, and Mitsubishi and a few others. The others are not as popular
That importer I mentioned had a gorgeous Iseki that the owner had brought in to get the electronic 3-point controls working. The dealer he bought it from, had sent him to his importer for assistance.

I chatted with the tractor owner while the importer's tech tried everything, obviously counting on trial & error to eventually reveal how it worked. It was unclear if there was a fault in how it was set up in the VN 'overhaul plant' before it got the gorgeous paint, or just something still to be discovered. They never did resolve it so far as I know.

No manuals existed anywhere and the owner was past the 30 day return window. He was getting anxious ...

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #18  
I never clicked the link and I had no idea of the price. This is the first I heard that. My answer is RUN from that for that price and look at Fredrick's. If it were $3500 or 4000 I would VERY seriously consider the posted tractor. But no reason to buy a used VN machine (even if proven)for something very close to the ballpark of a totally redone unit from Fredericks.

Again, study do your research and be comfortable with the decision to buy either based on facts

No they do the same thing with Iseki, and Mitsubishi and a few others. The others are not as popular and not really sold to near the level as Yanmars. People are familiar with the Yanmar name from marine gensets and the engines in compact JD tractors and other applications. They sell better and focused more on.
Did a mod combine these posts? I swear I responded to each one at a totally different time:unsure:

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?)
Did a mod combine these posts? I swear I responded to each one at a totally different time:unsure:
Clemson
Probably my fault. I originally posted on vintage tractors but realized I should have put it in the yanmar forum.

/ Yanmar 1500d (run towards or away?) #20  
Clemson
Probably my fault. I originally posted on vintage tractors but realized I should have put it in the yanmar forum.
No I was talking about my individual posts that were in my own post that I quoted. 5his is about the only forum on here I vitit these days. Use to go to the rural living and trailers but no so much anymore