Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #11  
How about "Try Both" Hey now that sound really good.:laughing:

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops
Thanks for all the replys i will try some of these ideas this weekend ,i found out my son said it did this last year at his house while bushhogging and he said he kept fooling with it, in wide open throttle position and it quit, and started running fine ???? sounds like something may have stuck up,Does anyone know what regulates pressure in the pump?I'm thinking something maybe Stuck? It could be the rack but can the rack in this pump go past full fuel position?If i find out anything more i will post ,thanks

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #13  
The length of the stroke of the plungers is what is regulated by the postition of the rack. Therefore the volume of fuel. The injectors are what regulates the pressure They are set to open at a designed pressure. I know the 220/226 injectors are to open at 2275psi but do not know what the 1700 injectors are to open at.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops
winston1 I'm not sure how the governor works on this engine ,but when i put a heavy load on it when i was plowing is it possible the governor opened the rack up all the way ,full fuel position and got stuck there ? If so this may be whats going on. Do you know how the linkage is connected between the fuel rack and the governor? Thanks again

/ Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #15  
   / Yanmar 1700 starts then blows black smoke and stops #16  
Just started having same trouble, ran fine for a little while. But I did put fuel in it before I started mowing. Plan is to drain, refill and bleed system. I hope this works.