Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
This a tractor that I bought a little while back just to mess around with been setting in a barn for a while, I had the injector pump rebuilt, it had one stuck plunger,, will crank right up now but I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust, would a clogged injector cause this

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #2  
white smoke could be from water from a blown head i think or from unburned fuel.

The head would be easy, when you crank it up look in radiator for bubbles. The fuel could be no compression or maybe the injector is fouled up and not misting right? just my guesses from a wanna be mecanic.

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #3  
I have three tractors that run 2 and 3 cylinder Mitsubishi engines and they all seem to puff some white smoke which I'm concluding (maybe wrongly) is oil getting into the cylinders. I can't determine the exact cause, but I'm not too worried about it. Oil should show up as blue smoke, but I've noticed that the color of the smoke greatly depends on the background to which you look at at. What looks like fairly significant white smoke against a black background can look clear against a blue background on a sunny day. Do the radiator bubble check as clemsonfor stated and keep an eye on your coolant level, but unless it's pretty heavy white smoke it may not be cause for alarm. I believe leaky/dribbling injectors can cause this too to answer your question. I've also read where running synthetic oil can cause white smoke but, again I cannot tell you why from a technical standpoint. May be thinner, or some other reason.

Ideally, diesel smoke should be clear except when under heavy loading/acceleration where black is usually present and acceptable in my opinion. You may also see white in very cold temperatures where the exhaust gases are condensing as they leave the stack(s).

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #4  
Yea unburned fuel is shown as white. I have confirmed this when trying to reignite a burn pile of coals, pouring deisel on it and getting nothing but thick white smoke as it evaporated off, smelling like deisel.

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #5  
This a tractor that I bought a little while back just to mess around with been setting in a barn for a while, I had the injector pump rebuilt, it had one stuck plunger,, will crank right up now but I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust, would a clogged injector cause this

How much blowby out the crankcase vent?

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke
Messing araund with thing today and it does have a litttle blowby out the vent case tube

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #7  
Just drive it and enjoy it. Maybe add some injector cleaner to the tank if you think it needs it.

So long as it starts readily (and isn't losing water) you don't have a problem.

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #8  
Since you just got it going I would go with California's advise. Some run time after setting up might help clear things up a little.

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke #9  
Yea i would dump some cleaner and then put 1oz of 2stroke oil in it for some added lube. I would then load the thing up and run it for a few hours. Like pulling a bushhog in tall or thick grass or pulling a plow. Load it up till you hear that exhaust note deepen and the smoke to start to get heavy but not pull the rpms down. Do this and it will really move some fuel through it and hopefully clean out some trash or carbon. Seafoam is deisel safe id dump a can of it in there.

That vent if there is just a little blow by i would not worry. It would have to look like a little exhaust pipe for you to be concerned!

/ Yanmar 2000 puffing white smoke
Messing around with it today and it is running a little better and I noticed there was not as much air coming out of the vent tube, I may jerk the injectors out and have them cleaned