Price Check Yanmar 240 Value?

/ Yanmar 240 Value?
He said after buying it as a non runner the guy that helps him now that he is able to do less due to being 80 got it to running but it smoked them out. He did not want to sell it to someone looking for their only tractor and needing a tractor.

Our two kids want to go to MX to build houses for families again like last year and the flight and fee for the week is $1200 to help a family get a new home. They are built on a slab that is poured ahead of time and seem to be more like our 16x20' finished out portable buildings. We have enough projects under way at this time so helping bring a family tears of joy New Years week will be money better spent. Most of the fee goes to buying materials used in the homes they build.

I agree if they have sold 20 Yanmar's (has three running ones for sell current but the one with the FEL he said he uses too much to sell) and his good mechanic can not figure out how to make it run after it actually having it running before the ring job sounds strange and he said so himself.

If I were retired I would really consider getting in to the junking of tractor business in a small way. Not sure I could cope with the shipping part. :)

We bought the 10'x20' portable Run In horse shed for the mini hours tonight that is a 10x12' open run and in one end is a nice 8'x10' tack/feed room. So tomorrow we will try to get it home so that will be an 180 mile round trip on the F700 with the 16' flat dump. He has a JD 250 skid steer to help get it lifted enough for me to dump some and start backing under it so we can work it on.

/ Yanmar 240 Value? #12  
Heck send the kids to Mexico, that sounds like a worthwhile project and better use of the money. :thumbsup:

Especially when compared to going crazy with frustration trying to outthink two experienced mechanics!

I've had good luck 80% of the time buying something cheap because the prior owner didn't know how to fix simple stuff. But I've wasted time on ones I didn't recognize were impossible, too. This YM240 is beginning to sound like one of those. Hopefully you'll find another some day.

My worst example was an old $100 Mercedes Benz diesel. Turned out the reason the engine clattered was the OHC timing chain - same as bicycle chain, tempered steel - had disintegrated some rollers and then circulated fragments through the engine for months. Everything inside was scoured like coarse sandpaper hit it. I sold the MB intact, for parts, for the same $100 I paid for it. It still drove but the clatter was frightening.

/ Yanmar 240 Value? #13  
Yea "getting" fuel to pump is not hard. But if pump is out of time or has stuck plungers the engine will not fire or run right.

You can see if the fuel is at the injector by cracking the lines but I'm sure he knows this. It does sound like a project but I bet its still something simple.

If he knows he can't fix it and sell for a profit I think you are in place to offer less and get a deal, after all he can't fix it and messes with these!! I'd let him know you may down $2+k and end up with a parts tractor.