Yanmar 2500 frankensteined

/ Yanmar 2500 frankensteined #11  
old starters use a solenoid and turns at 1.2Kw of power, the newer technology is a OSGR starter and turns at 2.0Kw of power. ... If you have a very old and tired starter, then upgrade.
View attachment 821835
That starter or one very near the same is what I put on the YM240 to replace the bad amateur rebuilt I found when I got the tractor. It was under $100.

With the higher amperage and the gearing, it cranks much faster, so I expect this would even start a worn out tractor that doesn't have spec compression.

/ Yanmar 2500 frankensteined #12  
I've mentioned Before that I always use the decompression. My rule of thumb the oil light goes out let it the decompression handle go and let it rip!! Easier on the starter also. My old Org. starter has the light off by the count of 5 one thousands. Hot,Cold, Rain or shine. Few yrs. back is how I knew the org. battery of 10 yrs. was going bad. It would show 12V. but the CCA, Cold Cranking Amps was real low when I had it checked. Replaced it and went up from 550cca. to 850cca. and that made big a difference. When its hit it's been super quick firing up ever since. I was actually in mine before having to get it rebuilt and put a ghetto rig on it. Shop mentioned it they could tell. There wasn't anything left of the brushes I turned around.;) Not much doubt it'll be rebuildable again if need be.