Yanmar 336D

/ Yanmar 336D #1  

Vern

Silver Member
Hoye lists two front dfferentials - old style and new style depending on the serial - where do I find the serial number?
Mine moves back and forth when turning the steering wheel so figure the bearings are shot.

Thank you

/ Yanmar 336D #2  
Hoye lists two front dfferentials - old style and new style depending on the serial - where do I find the serial number?
Mine moves back and forth when turning the steering wheel so figure the bearings are shot.

Thank you

Yanmar Tractor Serial Number What is moving back and forth? The spindle?

/ Yanmar 336D
The axle pivot housing cover? There is a cover on the front part of the picot that will move back and forth as the steering wheel is turned about 1/16 of an inch or more. I see it has bushings and bearings in it.

/ Yanmar 336D #4  
I replaced the bushings and wear shims in mine. The bushings are the same for early or late style axles. The shims are no longer available from Yanmar or the aftermarket.

After a little investigating I found that the shims are nothing but an off the shelf "machine bushing" that can be purchased in 3 different gauges of thickness. Any decent fastener shop should have them available.

/ Yanmar 336D
According to the serial it is a New Style

Thank you

/ Yanmar 336D
Gypsyman - can you give me a run down on what it took to change the bushings?

Thanks

/ Yanmar 336D #7  
Are you just going to add shims or replace the actual pivot bushing(s) too?

/ Yanmar 336D
Looks like I need the bushings too

/ Yanmar 336D #9  
I had movement like that when I got my 336. There are two bolts which face upwards in front of the center pivot which, when loosened, allow you to adjust the gap a decent amount. It'll depend on how much adjustment has already been made if you can close the gap or not on yours. On mine, it snugged it right up to where there was barely a shimmy left over. I had the same 1/16" gap on mine.

I'm assuming this is the center pivot point, and it moves to the front or back based on which direction you turn the wheel? That is where my gap was.

/ Yanmar 336D
Domush - that worked, tightened right up.

Hope your isn't as bad as you think.