Yanmar blowed up

/ Yanmar blowed up #1  

Yanmar140D

Tractor
Yanmar 140D
Well it looks serious folks. Today I was coming up the driveway on my trusty 140D when the transmission locked up tighter then a frogs *** at high tide. Before I could react something broke in the tranny and cracked the tranny housing. Now the driveshaft spins freely and its stuck in gear.

Does anyone know of a good repair service in my area (zip 12582)? Any idea on parts availability and cost? I'm concerned about finding someone with the expertise on Yanmars to repair it right.

Honestly. I'm not that mechanically inclined or I'd tackle it myself. I could pull the tranny out and deliver it to a shop, no problem. Or I could bring the whole tractor.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Yanmar blowed up #2  
Very sorry to hear that.

Does the engine run OK? Where is the crack in the transmission located?

I might be a good idea to do a little leg work, jack the tarctor up and use four jack-stands at the axles and rotate the wheels, operate the clutch or drop the drive shaft. IMO, do everything you can without splitting the tractor just yet. Isolating the problems now would sure hope in pricing parts and figuring labor.

As beautiful as your YM140 is...I believe it to be one of the rare - unique models which may prove parts replacement scarce (if any). I don't think I'd spend a dime until I was certain. It's not uncommon, on rare models, to discover the salvage price vs. retail, plus replacement components will be much higher than the tractors residual value.

Good Luck

Mark

/ Yanmar blowed up #3  
Just a WAG but I expect you need to find someone who can weld up that case.

It sounds like it caught two gears at once, indicating the shifter mechanism has a problem. I hope your damage is limited to just the case, shifter, and some minor internal parts.

/ Yanmar blowed up #4  
Was over to Ernie's last spring and I pulled in just after something similar happened to a tractor he was operating. On close inspection we found a pin/bolt had come out from somewhere in the trans, got wedged between a gear tooth and the housing, the housing failed first taking out a big chunk.

Being it was a powershift model and all the trans oil was soaking into the ground, he was dead in the water so to speak. Don't know if he ever took the tractor appart as he just assigned it to the "parts tractor" stock.

Could be something similar failed in this case.

Sorry for your problem. Hope it doesn't set you back too much to get it reparied.

/ Yanmar blowed up
mark777 said:
Very sorry to hear that.

Does the engine run OK? Where is the crack in the transmission located?

I might be a good idea to do a little leg work, jack the tarctor up and use four jack-stands at the axles and rotate the wheels, operate the clutch or drop the drive shaft. IMO, do everything you can without splitting the tractor just yet. Isolating the problems now would sure hope in pricing parts and figuring labor.

As beautiful as your YM140 is...I believe it to be one of the rare - unique models which may prove parts replacement scarce (if any). I don't think I'd spend a dime until I was certain. It's not uncommon, on rare models, to discover the salvage price vs. retail, plus replacement components will be much higher than the tractors residual value.

Good Luck

Mark

Mark, Yes...not sure yet what my options will be. The tractor is in very good condition, runs very well and has always been maintained. In the few years I've owned it I've come to realize that there doesn't seem to be many 140D's out there. I'm hoping the broken tranny case can be cross-referenced to another Yanmar model or maybe a JD model. Ideally I'd like to find a shop with access to parts. Or I'll attempt the repair if I can get the parts and can't find a knowledgeable mechanic. I suppose if all else fails it would make a good boat anchor.

/ Yanmar blowed up #6  
Look for a YM140D parts tractor. Perhaps there is one out there with a bad engine and/or beat up sheet metal. They are rare, unfortunately.

/ Yanmar blowed up #7  
I THINK I might have a 1401-D yanmar tranny, please call us tomorrow and I will check for you
Ernie
503-829-9170

/ Yanmar blowed up #8  
tractorErnie said:
I THINK I might have a 1401-D yanmar tranny, please call us tomorrow and I will check for you
Ernie
503-829-9170

Ernie, does the YM140D and YM1401D have the same trans?

/ Yanmar blowed up
Danny, my broken 140D does not have the powershift. Not sure if that was an option or not. I think the 147D models had powershift.

PS. I'm bummed about my broken tractor. I find myself day dreaming about a new, bigger, tractor.