Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850

/ Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850 #11  
First thing I thought was it looked very thin at the break site. I am curious if this shaft is 2 piece and broke at a threaded junction? That may sound stupid but I don't see or understand why the shaft isn't solid on the OD there if there is no spacing between the two broken pieces of shaft?

/ Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850 #12  
Maybe swmillbrook will enlighten us a little more? :confused3:

/ Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850 #13  
Fredricks is HIGH. But I guess you gotta do what ya GOTTA do.

Is this where you got the $1850.00 price ? I guess these parts are hard to come by. Might be time to decide if they (your customer) want to keep the tractor or part it out and move on to something else

/ Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850 #14  
The more I look at the 2 pieces, the more I wonder of the shaft wasn't originally made from those two separate pieces of shafts. I zoomed to 400% and it appears the two internal ends (oil passage(s) ) are two separate pieces that are pressed in. Clutch end has a slightly concave face and the other end has a slightly convex face. The end/ oil passages with the clutch is set inside the end of the shaft. The end of the other shaft w/ matching oil passages is set slightly outside the end of the shaft. The shaft appears like it might be a drilled/machined "tube", not a solid shaft that has been drilled and machined (?). Did the two pieces screw together and mate with the passages lining up and the end with the inset passage would allow the other end with the passage slightly outside the end of the shaft (tube) to seat inside the ID of the clutch side shaft (tube)? Does that make sense? If this wasn't originally two pieces, I don't know how they could have originally machined the two obviously separate oil passage "discs" or why that oil passage wouldn't be one piece machined/drilled in a solid shaft? Whew.....is that as hard for you to understand as it was for me to explain what I'm trying to say? :confused:

If this is the case, I think a competent machine shop could pretty easily repair the shaft.

/ Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850 #15  
I think I kinda understand what you're saying. Being from the south, I kinda get lost sometimes. I still think it's a weak design as that probably takes a lot of stress and that small amount of metal there just twisted right off... Don't know if she'll ever post back or not

/ Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850 #16  
Good eye Darryl. That isn't your standard broken shaft, but a 2-piece that was bolted or spot-welded together in some way. Deserves a closer inspection.

/ Yanmar fx 26 transmission shaft broke and a replacement will cost $1850 #17  
Could Abuse be the problem of the break? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Whats your opinion?

swmillbrook; is this shaft part of the powershift or is it the PTO shaft? If the PTO, these things have a 4 speed PTO which allows lower engine RPM's to achieve a desired PTO RPM which improves fuel efficiency. If the operator had the PTO in what is effectively a "higher gear" the shaft would be turning VERY quickly at full throttle making it vulnerable shock breakage.

If its the powershift than I'm as baffled as anyone.

How did you come out with the machine?