Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #31  
Valve guides and seals and rings not seated or bad ring lands or carboned up oil ring returns or deep scratches in cyl walls (that never will seal) or a bad turbo or a combo of any of these but I dont think this has a turbo? These are the only things that can cause oil consumption (besides an obvious leak) they are the only things lubricated that also have a combustion chamber on the other side.

Smoke does not necessarily mean there is a major problem with a diesel especially an old design like these. It may well be ok just needs more hours and a re-check of all the adjustments and maybe some fine tuning of the injectors and timing. my .002

edit: fwtw you could see my smoke 1/2 mile away when I am tilling my garden she gets on right after the smokin and I dont mean maybe! ;)

(I would think it has all new everything for what it cost to build it but that remains to be seen fwtw)

Last edited:
   / Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #32  
Was it rebuilt right? Was it bored out,oversize pistons,valve job etc. Or did they just stick a set of rings in it,and charge $5000 ?

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #33  
Did he say if any head work was done ? Mine will smoke (white /gray??) just a little on a cold day ay start up.After a few min. it's all clear.Maybe leaking/ sticking (not closing all the way) intake valve?? Just guessing

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #34  
Was it rebuilt right? Was it bored out,oversize pistons,valve job etc. Or did they just stick a set of rings in it,and charge $5000 ?

New liners, not sure about pistons.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #35  
Did he say if any head work was done ? Mine will smoke (white /gray??) just a little on a cold day ay start up.After a few min. it's all clear.Maybe leaking/ sticking (not closing all the way) intake valve?? Just guessing

invoice shows head machine work.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm.
It shows valve stem seals.

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm.
Car Doc, I hope to have the invoice on here by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to everyone who has helped. Tracy

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #38  
They don't have liners do they??? The only little I can find on them, shows pistons and rings .25 or.50mm oversize(.010 or .020) which isn't much. I don't know where you could even find enough parts to justify a $5000 bill. Must be high labor !

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #39  
Car Doc, I hope to have the invoice on here by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to everyone who has helped. Tracy

That would sure be interesting to read Tracy thanks. And as you saw with Winston so graciously stopping by to see ya (awesome!) you know we are a helpful bunch so hopefully we can help get you on track or at least explain whats going on hopefully. :thumbsup:

/ Yanmar FX 335-hard to start and sounds like it's missing at low rpm. #40  
They don't have liners do they??? The only little I can find on them, shows pistons and rings .25 or.50mm oversize(.010 or .020) which isn't much. I don't know where you could even find enough parts to justify a $5000 bill. Must be high labor !

I agree very high labor the only thing I can say about liners is if they aren't available they may have sleeved the engine. That is 80-100 bucks a hole maybe more? Its been awhile since I sleeved an engine I sold all my equipment 10-15 years ago so cant comment on current prices. (or they charged for liners and we may find out otherwise???)