Yanmar Genset Project

/ Yanmar Genset Project
What model generator head is that ? Is it 1800 RPM ?
It's a Voltmaster 10KW, 3600 rpm unit. I bought it from Northern Hydraulic in 1996, before they changed their name to Northern Tool.
The Yanmar was already set to run at 3600 rpm, so I didn't even have to adjust the governor speed.
IMG_20200429_164842097.jpg
IMG_20200429_164847710_HDR.jpg

/ Yanmar Genset Project
I fabbed up a castering trailer tongue jack that plugs into the hitch receiver on the front of the genset. Bought the jack from TSC, made a matching plate out of some 1/4" plate I had, welded a piece of 2"X2" tubing to it, then blasted and painted it.
Put it together this afternoon and it works really well to roll it around where ever I want it.
I'm pondering a way to stow the tongue when it's not in use. It might work to fasten it down to the cage where it's lying under the front of the engine in the picture.
As soon as I get the new air filter assembly I can connect the fuel lines and get it running.
Once it's finished up, it's time (finally) to get started on the Nova hanging on the rotisserie in the background.

IMG_20210531_133417165 (Custom).jpg

/ Yanmar Genset Project #13  
Nice work on the genny! Just wondering why you didn't just buy one? There are lots of choices out there, cost?

/ Yanmar Genset Project
Nice work on the genny! Just wondering why you didn't just buy one? There are lots of choices out there, cost?

Thanks!
I'm always looking for a new project, so when I came across the engine at a reasonable price, I though it would be a good, reliable engine for a genset. Back in '96 when I bought the 10Kw generator, it was only $500, now they are $1200-$1300. The drive coupling was the next most expensive part at ~$300, but it works perfectly. When I shut it down after over eight hours running, it was cool enough I could lay my hand on it. I probably have a total of $3K in it, I doubt you could buy a decent 10Kw diesel genset for that.